Did I Get Ripped?

I have an 04 Impreza 2.5TS Wagon, Automatic, approx 118,500 miles.

Last Friday I had a problem while driving around the Burlington, VT area, which is about 3 hours from home, so I was definitley an out-of-towner when I took it to Burlington Subaru on Saturday morning.

The car had been running rough on Friday, and Friday night the "check engine" light came on. Their reading of the code said that the #2 plug had misfired.

What they then told me was that the culprit was that the valve cover gasket had failed, and that the leaking oil caused the spark plug wire to fail. They also said that the coil was weak. The total cost, for replacing the valve cover gaskets, the coil, the wires, and the spark plugs was $661. Of this $273 was labor (3.5 hrs at $78/hr).

The most surprising part of this was that the coil was $181 for the part only. I had had a coil replaced in a 97 Impreza some while back for $40 for the part, so I'm wondering if the new coil is really that different or is this all inflation.

My main question is whether I was oversold. Did I really need to replace the coil, or did they just add this on to get a bit more out of this out- of-towner who they figure they are unlikely to see again.

What is ironic is I am planning next month to trade in the car on an 08. I wish I had done so last month! But at this point the quandry is if I should now keep the car a few months longer until I can get this paid up, especially considering that I now have a brand new ignition system and the car is running great, or should I get rid of it ASAP before something else goes wrong?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Reply to
Larry Weil

Who knows? 'IF' you didn't need the coil or, 'IF' the dealership has an 'unreasonable' markup on parts - you may have paid a little more. You could try pricing that part at some other dealerships. Or at an online place like

. But really, it may be impractical to pursue it.

And you could show the next owner the receipts for the recent work. Might be worth a little xtra on the trade - don't expect a lot though. Chances are a car with that mileage is gonna go to the auction house anyway.

Um...if it takes a few months to pay up that amount - might I suggest you should reconsider a new car?

;^)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Coil was $73 on that website- list was $99 so you got cracked. Call the deakership manager andlet them know you were ripped. Tell him you will call the local Trouble shooter on TV if he wont doanything and post this everywhere .

Reply to
bigjimpack

YOUCH!

If you paid with a credit card - there could be some leverage through that way I suppose. And speaking to Subaru's regional Rep. might be helpful too. (Um, be sure to let us know what dealership this is if things go poorly)

good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I looked at a website too, and saw the $99 MSRP one. Turns out on further investigation that the $99 one is for the turbo models, which use four of them, one for each plug. The one for non-turbo is $175 MSRP, so they still marked it up a little bit.

Reply to
Larry Weil

Hmmm, No CE light?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No on the above mentioned site the non turbo coil is $99

g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
bigjimpack

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n58g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

The receipt shows PN 22433AA570, which is one of the ones listed for $175 MSRP.

Reply to
Larry Weil

read again the check engine light did come on

Reply to
Glenn Klein

OK, seeing the whole post I'd say you needed the coil. And on that car when you loose the coil you quit. Not like with a 3 coil system on a GM v6 - where you just loose 2 cyls. The newer coils ARE different, but inflation definitely has something to do with it too - there is no rhyme or reason to parts cost today. If it runs good, why waste your money on a new one? The depreciation the first month will pay for a lot of repair/maintenance bills, and you ARE into a recession down there - you may be needing that money!!

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, please go back and read the original post. My main point was to ask if they did a lot more stuff than was really necessary for the situation.

Reply to
Larry Weil

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:24:15 -0500, against all advice, something compelled Larry Weil , to say:

It depends on what you consider necessary. If all you wanted was for the motor to start so you could sell the car, then yes. It looks like the dealer wanted to send you on your way with a dependable ignition system, and he did. With that much mileage, replacing all those parts when one of the failed is reasonable. They are all the same age, after all.

Now you could run that car another hundred thousand miles and never have a problem with the ignition again. If all you wanted was to get home, I'm sure a conversation with the service writer would have gotten you a lower bill. But how happy would you be if some other ignition part crapped out in the next hundred miles?

FWIW, I think you got a fair deal.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

I just had the coil in my 95 replace - UAP wanted 500$ for it!! I got one from the dealership downtown for 160$, which yes is more than from some web site but I wanted it _now_, so I considered that an acceptable premium.

Now, why would a coil on a 4 year old car be weak? Was the gasket really leaking?

Personally, with the "wisdom" I have garnered over the years, I would have asked them to show me why they thought the gasket needed replacing. I had the driver's side one replace a number of years ago, then six months later took it in for an oil change and they said I needed one - again - I ask which one, they said the driver's side and I said "good, coz you're fixing it for free". Then they back-tracked and said the gasket on the oil filler tube needed replacing - wanted about 50$ to fix that so I said gimme the part (50cents!) and did it myself in the dealship parking lot!! Haven't gone back there since.

The rule is, if the car breaks down and you need it fixed quickly you are going to pay a premium - so only get enough done to get the car running again. Anything else they "find", say thanks but no thanks. With what I know now, I would have got them to put in a new lead and driven home, then had everything else dealt with at my leasure, doing what I could myself with parts ordered over the internet.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

"Dominic Richens" wrote in news:0s-dnchHTei_p2vanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@storm.ca:

I do know that there was oil in the spark plug tubes last time I changed plugs, and I didn't do anything about it. So perhaps I'm paying the price for that now.

Reply to
Larry Weil