Tyre Sealent

Hi I am posting here because I did not get a coherent answer from another news group. It degraded as usual into "Don't go to X, Y or Z" for tyres

My question is ( to me ) a serious concern.

Christmas is coming and I am thinking of what to buy the car drivers.

I have just been watching a TV selling channel advocating the use of a sealant you put into the tyre. In the event of a puncture it is instantly sealed and you don't have to change a tyre.. Fantastic.

Now some new cars including Land Rover do not supply a spare tyre. Many people may be encouraged to use this type of sealant.

My fear is you pick up a nail and it stays in the tyre for ever and then one day the tyre fails big time.

As you die in the accident you don't have a chance to complain to the manufacturer so they don't have a problem. Are there any statistics relating to the safety of this product or does anyone have direct experience.

Before anyone comes back with " You should inspect your tyres every day, bla bla bla. " in the real world how often to you do this? What if a nail goes into the inner sidewall and you just cant see it. Surely this is a serious accident just waiting to happen

Reply to
4x4v6

You can get me a bumper fun sized bottle of whisky.

Until you get to a tyre change place. It's not a fit and forget thing you know.

Like I said, you don't keep driving until the tyre bursts, you get it changed ASAP. That's what it says on the tin. Or at least I bet that's what it says on the tin having never used that sort of stuff.[1]. And the tyre changing people will *love* you for putting it into your tyres.

[1] I've used tyre weld before. Lack of direct knowledge never stopped anyone pontificating on Usenet before now.
Reply to
malc

IIRC there's one available that the manufacturers claim is used in one variant by the US military - stays in the tyre permanently, and can plug multiple bullet holes (also good for motorbike tyres I believe) - think it might have been ultraseal...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Until you get to the tyre fitters and they whack you with a massive bill for cleaning the s**te off the rim.

Oh, and you can only run for a short distance. They're a "get you home" not a permanent fix.

Reply to
Conor

You are missing the point

If this product works as they say. You will not know anything about a puncture. So you will continue to drive potentially with several punctures. So how safe is that ?

Reply to
4x4v6

It's all you get in the vehicle mentioned in the thread above yours...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

About the same as having a nail in the tyre that doesn't leak. What's your point?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

So how happy are you to drive a car at say 100 MPH with a 6inch nail in the the side wall of your tyre ?

Reply to
4x4v6

How safe is it to drive with that nail in a tyre? How long until a catastrophic failure ? I don't know that's why I am asking the question.

Reply to
4x4v6

All sorts of things can cause a catastrophic failure of a tyre. They're not all that common thankfully though. I don't see how suffering a blow out from several nails that have been in my sealant-ed tyre for aeons and suffering a blow out in an unsealant-ed tyre are going to be all that different.

No. How can anyone have any direct experience? They're dead and couldn't tell anyone remember.

I don't check my tyres every day, but a tyre can suffer a catastrophic failure for whatever reason whether there is some sort of magic sealant product in it or not.

If you're worried about it, don't use it. Join the AA, don't use tyre sealant and have 'safe' tyre failures.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

they say you get a blue marker but what if its on the inside of the wheel. How often do you roll your car forward and inspect the whole surface of all your tyres?

Reply to
4x4v6

a nail is visable, but is the tyre sealant visable once you get a puncture ? my mate uses similiar stuff in his cycle tyres & its bright green which gives a visual indication of having a puncture at some point.

Reply to
reg

Personally, I've never tried, but a) I honestly don't think tyre sealant would keep a tyre inflated in those circumstances and b) if it did, the imbalance caused by a 6 inch nail at 100mph would be pretty noticeable so I'd probably not be very happy and I'd probably stop.

Reply to
Douglas Payne
4x4v6 ("4x4v6" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If it's holding air, quite happy.

Not that it will hold air with a 6" nail in the sidewall, of course...

Reply to
Adrian

How often do you get nails in your tyres?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes I have made my choice. Not to use

As no one seems to have any conception of what the implications of using this product are

I think this product is a potential killer.

Hope I don't meet you coming upside down in the opposite direction ))

Reply to
4x4v6

But the sales information suggests that it will. Even if the nail dislodges the compound will fill the hole without any loss of pressure. so you now have a punctured tyre but don't know it !

Reply to
4x4v6

How often do dead people crash their cars ?

Reply to
4x4v6
4x4v6 wrote of an undetermined tyre sealant product:

I think they do, but I think the real issue you're having is that so far no one gives a f*ck.

Clearly.

Well if you don't use the tyre sealant product in question you won't have the opportunity to flip your car and crash into me.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Many of them do it just once, but how many of those people crash because they used a Tyre Sealant product, drove through a 6 inch nail factory at

100mph but didn't notice all the punctures only to flip their car weeks or months later because one or more of their tyres suffered a catastrophic failure due to all the nails?

I'll give you an answer to my question - I don't know but I bet it's not very many.

Reply to
Douglas Payne