Tyre Shine

Hi, As many of you will remember I am a regular when It comes to Polishes, Scratches etc but am not very technically involved in my car.

This is continuing with my next question

In the battle to keep the tyres shiny I have tried cheap spray products from the local pound shop. They work briefly for say a week but because of the overspray onto the alloys it makes the brake dust stick to it and it ends up all messy!

Is there any better products on the market that you guys have tried.

Thanks for any views, Maybe one day I will have a technical mechanical question. :)

**********
Richard Jones

In message , Richard Jones writes

I use Turtle Wax "Wet N' Black" which lasts a few weeks. I don't spray it on though for reasons you describe. I spray it into a container and then brush it onto the tyres. I only use it in the summer as its a waste of time applying it when the roads are grotty.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Why would you want shiny tyres? - they're there to transfer power / grip to the road, not look pretty.

Reply to
SteveH

I agree entirely, and I get pretty fanatical about polishing during the warmer months. Tyre shine is s**te. The only reason tyres look shiney when you first get them is that they're covered in release agent and that's also why they don't grip as well.

Reply to
Doki

what about making some kind of mask and place it over the alloys while spraying your tyres?

Reply to
dave F

The message from "Richard Jones" contains these words:

I use neglect. Got buckets of it here.

Reply to
Guy King

You're kidding, right?

Reply to
Grunff

Shiny tyres look tacky, better just natural imho.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

ISTR my local Auto / paint factors have some stuff you slap on with a brush or cloth, rather than coming in an aerosol it's in a gallon bottle like screenwash.

Reply to
Doki

I only apply it to the wall of the tyre and so it doesnt detract from the grip of the tyre. A car in my oppinion looks alot better when polished and the tyres are shiny.

Reply to
Richard Jones

The message from "Richard Jones" contains these words:

Blue washer lights are nice, too.

Reply to
Guy King

Black boot polish

Reply to
Rooster Booster

to Polishes,

products from

because of the

and it ends up

tried.

I just wash them at the same time as the car. A clean car with muddy tyres doesn't exactly look right. They get muddy, as when at work I park on waste ground. When they're really bad, brushing them with neat traffic film remover works a treat. Cleans the mud off and leaves them looking very clean, black, and dull. The way tyres should look IMO. Mike.

mechanical

Reply to
Mike G

The majority disagree with you, so stop doing this.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

In message , Robin Graham writes

Or risk a visit from the tyre shine police?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The "majority" seem to be a bunch of uncaring slobs. Do we all have to stoop to their level?

Reply to
Scott M

Shoe polish, the stuff that comes in tins. Round our way it's three tins for a quid.

It's good on black bumpers as well.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

There is some tinted tyre polish just come out that gives your tyres a subtle colour.

A friend of mine bought some green coloured and it makes his tyres look really spiv!

I'll ask him next time I see him and get the brand name.

Shokka

Reply to
Shockwave

You don't spray the tread-Duh! You only spray the inner and outer walls.

IMHO, cars with dirty tyres look a bit 'council estate' if you get my drift.

Apart from making the tyres look spiv, done regulart the wax also helps condition the side walls which makes them more flexible and less prone to cracking. They also run cooler.

Shokka

Reply to
Shockwave

I can do you a really good deal on a bridge.

Reply to
Duncan Wood