You don't see many of those

Subaru SVX.

That could _definitely_ tempt me out of an Alfa.

Reply to
SteveH

is that the thing that looks nothing like a subaru? mad spaceship like thing

Reply to
Theo

That's the one:

SteveH

Heh.

3.2lt flat-6. Shame it was only ever mated to a slushomatic 'box.

Reply to
SteveH

Weirdo.

Funnily enough I was followed by an XJ220 the other day (now, you don't see many of *those*), which might seem unrelated untill I tell you that I was followed by an SVX in the same place a few months before. Huge wide low odd looking thing it was. Strangely, not a road I am on that often, but it is one of the more entertaining and less busy B road routes into the city at rush hour, there are also some pretty wealthy people living along it, I'm guessing thats why you see some odd machinery on it sometimes.

Anyway.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to what sort of powerplant is in an SVX? Matter/antimatter propulsion? Hyperdrive?

What scope for making them faster lads?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Autos are under rated IMHO. Furthermore I reckon good autoboxes mated with a reasonably powerful engine are fine.

My Carlton, in all it's 150bhp, 4 speed GM slushtronic glory is not a bad car to drive. Granted it doesn't slow down so well as as soon as you take your foot off the gas above about 30mph it changes to 4th, and in the snow the rear wheels are still trying to push the car along at low speed even after you have engaged ABS on the fronts but flooring it at 40, having it kick down to 1st and taking off past the lorry/granny that had been impeding your swift (albeit mildly wallowy) progress like a bat out of hell still hasn't lost its appeal in 9 months of ownership.

When you're fed up of driving and just want to get home you have the added bonus of only having to bother with big pedal and little pedal and a gearstick that only goes backwards and forwards.

Manuals are for poor people. (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

WTF is with those wheels

its the bastard offspring of punto sporting mk1 rims and S2 RS Turbo alloys :)

Reply to
Rob

I don't mind them, to be honest. The Golf is dog-slow with it's 3-speed slushbox, but I do like kickdown, and they're definitely good to drive in traffic.

I just don't think they're right for something like an SVX.

Reply to
SteveH

This is the "wide mouth frog" thing isn't it???

Reply to
Burgerman

isnt the engine in the back or am I barking up completely the wrong tree, istr one in a jap import centre last year sometime..

Reply to
Theo

But where is SVX in the grand scheme of things?

Is it a sporty zoomy l'il bugger or a toury long distance mile chomping gent?

3.2 6cyl boxer puts it with porsche I suppose, but the offerings thereabouts from merc or jag are autos I bet.

Is 1 box of wine really the same as 4 bottles?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In article , snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

1993 one for sale round my way. Metallic Aubergine (purple to us commoners) £5k at A6 motors.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Still too pricey for my tastes ;-)

Well, certainly for the next 18 months until I'm working close to home.

Then I'll definitely do something silly. Current contenders are:

Alfa GTV6 (Alfetta Shape) Bertone GTV Fiat 124 Spider Alfa Spider (1970s chrome bumper)

Reply to
SteveH

Er, ?

Are you faulty ?

It's *HORRIBLE* !

It looks like a REALLY BAD American car !

Reply to
Nom

It's individual, rare, has a lovely engine, fantastic interior and 4WD.

Reply to
SteveH

snip

Mile muncher I'd bet.

I'd've thought the closest competition would be something like the Lexus Soarer??

Only if it's a box of 4 bottles.

Reply to
Jamesy