Tyre Tread Shedding

that sounds feasable parking on the edge of kerbs can cause tread separation ( if you are unsure what I mean look for a BMW) and splitting Derek

Reply to
Derek

And I manage 24K on GoodYear NCT5's on the front of a TDCi 115, which isn't exactely driven in a "granddad" manner!

G.

Reply to
Gary McClean

I beg to differ.

I got around 8k miles from the NCT5s on the front of my Passat 1.8T before I switched 'em to the rear whilst they're still slightly above the wear markers.

How you get 24k from a pair, I'll never know.

Reply to
SteveH

8K?! Jeepers! Well, my 24K's consistent over two sets of NCT5's, 195/60 VR15 if that makes any difference to the comparison. Mixture of motorway, country road, and town driving, generally done in a press-on, but not wasteful, manner. If I recall correctly, I got about 15K out of the original Michelins on the car. Always been well pleased with the wear on NCT5's. They lack grip a bit in the wet, especially when combined with the torque output of a TDCi nipping out at a junction, for example, but as long as you're aware of that, its managable. Paid £65 each for a rear set a while back, and will shortly be doing the same for the front. At that price, and about 24K, I'm more than happy.

G.

Reply to
Gary McClean

I'll confirm your findings on NCT5, last ages, low wet grip, not good on smooth slippery roads either.

Over the last few years I'd rank the tyres I've used like this (first is best / quitest / cheapest etc.)

Grip: Conti SportContact 2, Toyo T1-S, Mich Primacy, Conti Premium2, Conti Premium, Pirelli P6000, Dunlop SP3000, Mich Energy, Goodyear NCT5

Life: Energy, NCT5, Primacy, Premium, P6000, SP3000, SC2, T1-S - Premium2 not yet worn them out!

Noise. Premium 2, Primacy, Premium, SC2, T1-S, P6000, Energy, NCT5

Price. NCT5, SP3000, Energy, T1-S, Premium2, Premium, SC2, Primacy

I'm so far happy with the PremiumContact 2, cheap enough from Mytyres.net, very quiet, very grippy - as long as they last as long as the Premium Contact I'll be happy...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp
[...]

I had NCT5s on the 740i - very quiet[1], not *too* bad in the wet[2], good turn in/responsiveness, slow to wear.

The front pair were a distress purchase and sufficiently OK for me to get matching rears a little later. I don't think I'd choose NCTs over P-Zeros or especially Michelin PS2s normally.

A [1] Previous Pirellis were inaudible, NCT5s actively silent(!) [2] Better than the well worn P6000s they replaced, easy to get sideways on damp cobbles though...

Reply to
Alistair J Murray