VAG 1.8T Cambelt Change

Although the official line is that my belt doesn't need changing for another 30k miles (next due at 160k, according to the handbook), not only do I feel uncomfortable with this, but it also seems that the recommended interval is 60k miles.

With this in mind, I plan to get the belt done at the next service (140k miles).

Any idea how much this is likely to cost? - the engine isn't a partucularly tight fit in the bay, but a mate with a Golf 1.8T reckons it cost him over £500 from an indie mechanic - sounds steep to me, I can get Fiat 5-potters done for less!

Whilst it's in having this done, is there much else worth looking at on a car with 140k miles on it? - I don't usually do a lot of preventative maintenance, however, I want this car to last as it still looks and drives like a new one. Not experienced this for a long time ;-)

Cheers,

Reply to
SteveH

(threadjack) Steve - alfa 145 cloverleaf, on an S plate, which engine and how quick? was tussling with one on the M62 today and it was mega quick (as in reallly quick)

Had some other badge on the back too, like a red infilled chrome T, not sure if that means anything but it could keep with me unless I was using 4th gear and I didn't think they were that quick...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Don't know about the 1.8T. But for an idea of cost I've just had my 2.8 V6 Audi A4 timing belt replaced. I had the Timing belt, Tensioner, Idler Roller, Water Pump, Thermostat, Auxilary belt all replaced with Genuine Audi parts at an independent garage for the total cost of £365. The parts alone were about £230. The Audi dealer price was £431 without doing the thermostat. The 2.8V6 is a tight fit in the engine bay. I think your friend has been ripped off unless the Golf is weird in some way.

For the timing belt I had everything replaced on the belt run I could. I also had the thermostat done as it was a cheap part that could be done while it was in bits. This may be worth doing on yours too especially the Water pump and tensioner.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

160-ish bhp 2 litre T-Spark. Only they weigh slightly less than f*ck-all, so are bloody quick.
Reply to
SteveH

Thought that might be worth doing myself. I generally do change waterpumps at the same time as the belt if they're driven off the cambelt.

Reply to
SteveH

Also sprach snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH):-

My brother's got a VW something - Touran, that's it. He's mighty annoyed with himself for not buying the more powerful version having discovered after he bought it that it weighs nearly 2½ tons!

Reply to
Guy King

Ahhh - I weigg more than the car, so that's not gonna help, plus there were five in mine... but even so it was disconcerting enough to be caught up on the motorway let alone passed. He certainly wanted to play.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That'll be the Tuareg. The Touran isn't 21/2 tons.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Also sprach "Tim S Kemp" :-

Well, he's got a Touran and said it was 2½ tons. I CBA to look it up - perhaps someone's got a brochure.

Reply to
Guy King

Is that the one where u have to remove the front of the car to give room to get into it?

Reply to
Mr Jolly

I have a feeling the headlamps and bumper have to come off - just had a look and it's quite close to the front of the car.

Reply to
SteveH

Engines are 102PS or 115PS 1.6, 150PS 2.0, 90/105/140PS diseasels. Weighs about 1.6 tonnes.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

preventative

Have done a few Audi and vw like that the first one I did I took the whole lot off and it was really easy to get into. Nowadays I take the plastic outer bumper off and support the rest on bars stuck into the front of the chassis

Reply to
Mr Jolly

preventative

Certainly did on my A4. Bumper off and put the radiator in 'Service Postion'.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

That's the same weight as this bloody 7 series :-o

Reply to
Pete M