value?

A bad hydrolock, either bends a rod and then one cylinder has low compression or lifts the head then the head gasket fails.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Is it worth turning it over with the plugs out, and perhaps repeating that over a few hours and trying again with them back?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

That doesn't prove the ignition electrics are dry. Check all the plug leads and the whole HT side for a start.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's the one thing you shouldn't have done. You can pretty much guarantee the engine is beyond economic repair.

Take the 75UKP and move on.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Trunging?! - I rather like that.

Reply to
Chris Green

Are you old enough to have it comprehensively insured with a small excess for less than third party cover would have cost?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

A bad idea for sure without removing the plugs but would a starter motor have enough power to do more damage?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

IME, yes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[snip]

No, I think that means the scrap dealer will take it away if you pay him £75 ....

Reply to
Graham J

It's about right collected in the Midlands. This firm (possibly the best scrap yard in the country - nothing stacked) shows recent quotes range £45-£84. Collected or drive in doesn't seem to make much difference maybe £25.

(good lord they have quoted on X reg Skyline £91.50 and a '79 Capri £58.50) As the engine is dead and that's the single highest value part to a scrap yard it's not worth a lot.

As others have said get the plugs out and crank it to blow the water out. But if it turned one rev on the starter and then locked it will have a bent rod or blown head gasket. It may drive to the scrap yard but it's a dead car driving.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I have saved quite a few engines* by carefully turning via the crank pulley, or using the gears and moving the car. Mr Dad always insisted on turning a suspect engine over by hand first.

*Usually when other mechanics thought they had successfully changed the twin cam timing belt, but asked us to check "because it's Italian". Invariably they had it wrong.
Reply to
Jethro_uk

I seen 8 valves bent by a starter turning on an engine with a misplaced timing belt.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

it is 120 for a fiesta in essex (either driven in or towed)

Reply to
MrCheerful

as in: tow it to a lay by where it mysteriously caught fire?

Reply to
MrCheerful

A piston whacking a valve isn't the same scenario though, is it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

1? 8? In this case it makes little difference. The thing is scrap. Weigh it in and buy a proper car.
Reply to
Huge
[...]

No, it isn't. The result in terms of the potential value of the car, which is what the OP asked, is however.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'd argue it has a remarkably similar effect on the value of the car :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It could be on my old Rover. The air intake is right down at the bottom of the engine bay to get the coldest air.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But your observation is as irrelevant as Jethro's with regard to answering MY question.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+