Clonky clonk steering

A 1994 Corolla 1.3 Gli has just developed a couple of lound clonks when the steering is turned, both when stationary and moving.

When stationary and turning the wheels from lock to lock, you get the first clonk at about a third of the turn and another clonk at about two thirds of the turn, and then the same thing when you turn back in the opposite direction. Apart from these very lound noises, it seems to work alright.

Not having any ramps or axle stands and being a novice, am i right in guessing this might be an expensive business? The cars got 120K miles on it and still runs fine, but is obviously not worth a lot now.

Is it time for the junk yard would you say? Grateful for any advice on what best to do next, thanks.

Reply to
john hamilton

my best guess would be a steering column universal joint either worn out or just rubbing on something (they tend to be knobbly which could give clonks on a regular basis), have a look down at the bottom of the steering column, either by your feet or under the bonnet, maybe get an assistant to turn the wheel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

& they're not particularly expensive.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Finally took it to the wiz mechanic down the road, he put the trolley jack under the car and he found it straight away. The strut and coil spring assembly had fractured.

For some reason this reminds me of our teacher Mr Whitehead who in the early

1960's had an ancient (guessing about 1936) black rolls royce.

One day the back springs broke, we saw it ourselves underneath. He had to give it back to rolls royce, since it was such a big job.

About a week later two smartly suited men delivered it back to his house.

They told him that there was no charge. The teacher said, " but the springs were broken".

The man said; "Rolls Royce springs don't break sir".

Reply to
john hamilton