Vauxhall Vectra with uncertain history

Folks :- My other half has found a car she likes and is in her price range, so she bought it. The price range was £1500 (which was discussed here a few weeks ago) and she's got an R plate Vauxhall Vectra GLS automatic having done

95000 miles. It seems to drive quite nicely and cleaned up it'll look OK, however there are no signs of any servicing having been done on it at any time in its recent past.

It's going to the garage as soon as I can book it in for a full service and timing belt change (and to fix the horn!), there are suggestions that the water pump should be changed at the same time and the tensioners. Should they be changed? Is there anything else that ought to be done while it's in the garage?

Also it only came with one key and alarm key fob - where's the cheapest place to get new ones in the Manchester or North London areas?

Many thanks

Kev

Reply to
Kevin Davies

All vectra petrol engines need the cambelt and tensioners doing regularly - replace both, not an expensive job on the 4 cylinder cars but make sure whoever does it knows what they are doing. Beyond that they are generally reliable and I think good engines, especially the 2.2 and the 2.6.

IIRC the 2.2 is chain driven though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Definately have the cambelt, rollers, and tensioner changed. Also consider having the ATF flushed and changed too if you're planning to keep the car for a while and dont want the auto box packing up

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

My water pump let go at 95k.....make your own mind up, but it won't cost as much if you get it done now as it would doing it as a seperate job

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner