Veg oil conversion being considered

Has anyone converted a Lucas pump system ( or especially a Rover 418) to veg oil using a

computerised system? All feedback welcome before I commit.

Michael

Reply to
persheenbay

In my humble opinion. A load of bollocks.

I know lots of people who have been running using cooking oil for years, no conversion used and no troubles at all, straight from tesco's to the tank, on about a 50% mix.

This is on older type diesels, not the modern HDI type.

I have heard a lot about conversion kits, but I think thats a con.

OK now I will sit back and take the slating. Go on you know you want to!!!

Regards Slim.

Reply to
Slim

I'm currently using a 100% pure biodiesel in my Galaxy PD TDi, I know HDi units can only take a 30% Mix

I guess this using a twin tank method to allow the swap over once the engine has been heated up

Reply to
A C

im using 100% virgin oil from Italy with a hint of mixed herbs lightly seasoned with super unleaded, runs like shit, but boy does it smell nice !!!!

Reply to
reg

with a lucas type - vane type pump, you MUST heat the oil before it hits the pump or the pump *WILL* fail - see

for more details. However, I've used Citroen diesels with bosch pumps fitted for years now and even in winter have run them on pure veg with no conversion at all. Only problem seems to be they take 2 or 3 goes to start when it's really cold. Total mileage over 4 years = 140K in 3 cars. No problems with fuel encountered, I crashed one, sold one, and gave the other to my brother.. I still run a ZX DT on pure veg with no conversion and better economy than on diesel. I buy it in bulk and pay the duty on it every month.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Let me get this straight (I have a 1996 Xantia TD). You can put 100% vegetable oil straight in the tank without diluting with diesel at all, no conversion or modification needed, and it runs ok? In other words a straight swap of vegetable oil for diesel.

If veg oils less than 95p a litre I might give it a go! (off to check prices).

Reply to
Kay

my wholesaler puts a limit of 10 cans per customer per visit., so it must be cheap, I will have a look in the next few days.

Reply to
mrcheerful

diesel will not mix with veggi oil. they will seperate diesel on the bottom veggie on the top. mix some in a contaner and let it sit there for a couple of minutes to see it.

no

veggie oil do need to be heated to around 80 to 98 degrees before it hits the injectors other wise it will not vaporise when injected into the cylinders, this will result in the cylinders and exhuast ports clogging up severly over the matter of a few months, this will result in a need for a complete decoke.

i used this method of veggie oil over ten years ago in a generator and experimented all differant ways to reduce the coke problem, and the only one that made a real difference was to heat the oil, the engine had a switch over valve so that the engine ran on diesel to startwith the it used to swicht over to the oil after the temp was up.

Reply to
bongo rule

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "persheenbay" saying something like:

I'd advise against it if the car is worth anything. The Lucas pumps are quite fragile compared to Bosch pumps and a vegoil conversion on them is fraught with peril. If there's a Bosch pump fitted to any version of your engine, see if you can swap one over.

Otoh, if it's an old heap of shit, you carry on.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Many thanks for the comments. I have a Range Rover 200tdi running on 100% rapeseed oil for a long time now without problems (Bosch pump)

I take it that noone has this particular conversion on a Lucas pump.

The point is that veg oil which is not up to temperature CANNOT get into the fuel pump.

Michael

Reply to
persheenbay

9 quid for 20 litres, so a saving of more than 50 percent over straight diesel if you don't pay the duty on it. I might throw a can or two in the old diesel van, 50 / 50 with diesel should be ok all year round I would expect.
Reply to
mrcheerful

veggie oil and diesel will not mix, put a 50/50 mix in a plastic bottle and let it sit there for a few minutes.

Reply to
bongo rule

Odd. I was at a demo for a WVO to biodiesel processing kit yesterday and the guy suggested a 50:50 mix with mineral diesel during the winter. Apart from cleaning, their biodiesel was basically waste veg oil treated with a small precentage of methanol (and caustic soda to adjust the pH). Funny thing to recommend if they don't mix, though he then admitted they didn't bother anyway as it worked OK neat during most British winters.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

as you just said, it is not neat veggie oil. ((methanol (and caustic soda to adjust the pH))

Reply to
bongo rule

Well yeah, that's how they can get away with using it 100% in the winter without it getting too thick, but doesn't explain how they'd expect it to mix with diesel as per their official recommendation. If the methanol itself is what's making it mix, perhaps the OP could chuck some in.

50:45:5 or so, instead if 50:50.
Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I found that very hard to believe, so I've just tried a 50/50 mix in a glass jar. There's no hint of separation after a couple of hours.

I'll now leave it for a few days. If it does eventually separate, I'll let you all know.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "bongo rule" saying something like:

Utter bollocks.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Willy Eckerslyke saying something like:

Fuck, no. Look it up.

and look for biodiesel. It's a conversion process, not just adding things.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "bongo rule" saying something like:

I suggest you look it up too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Fuck no. If you have a point to make, bloody make it, don't just hand me links.

Just as well I used the word "treated" then, wasn't it?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke