Veg oil conversion for a 300SD?

I see there is a co. selling a conversion kit for any diesel for $800.

I suppose my 85 300 SD would run fine on veg. oil, right? Funny thing is that diesel used to be 10cents LESS than reg. unleaded, and now it is $1.95, actually abt 10cents MORE than reg unleaded! What stretches belief is the reports I have heard that you can get 100 miles to the gallon burning veg. oil. That means that if I put a little 5 gal. veg oil tank in the trunk, I can go for 500 miles non-stop! And then a further

500 miles on the 20 gallons of diesel! I am thinking that at abt 2 bucks a gallon, the $800 for the conversion kit would pay for itself (repay the cost) within a couple of years, if not sooner. The car doesn't have all that much more life left in it as I am not going to replace the engine or tranny...but I see no reason why the kit can't be removed, so it could be installed in a diesel replacement car, no problem. Wonder what the price of veg. oil is if you get it in a large container, like probably a 5 gal. jug, as the restaurants would use? Maybe even buying unused oil would still save money, but with a longer break-even time?
Reply to
Jimbo

The whole idea is to use USED vegetable oils that restaurant have to pay to get rid of it... hence, it cost you nothing if you get their permission.

The only hassle you have is that you have to strain the used vegetable oil of its sediment and then put them in your car yourself.

Yet, it is quite attractive at this point of time because it cost you nothing for fuel... practically that is.

The other issue of driving with SVO is that you must start and end with diesel fuel... vege oil has to be heated up before it can burn correctly... and 2 minutes before you shut down your engine, you have to switch back to diesel... otherwise your fuel line would be clogged with thickened vege oil. With winter coming up, it is very important.

Reply to
Tiger

Why not just buy a McDonald's store and get free veg. oil?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

From their own FAQ:

Q What kind of fuel economy (miles per gallon) do you get using a greasecar fuel system? A There should be no difference in fuel economy between diesel and vegetable oil. You will receive the high efficiency of a diesel engine on either fuel. (diesel engines are generally 40% more efficient than their gasoline counter parts)

Where did you get the 100 MPG stuff?

Reply to
Darrell

Yea, maybe the 100 mpg is BS, that is what some users of the conversion system claimed...but maybe they are paid endorsers? Well, that is an ingenious solution....just buy a McDonalds store, and then you would have all the veg oil you need. In fact, one could just take any left-over patties at the end of the day...a half-dozen should suffice....put them on a press, recover the veg oil into a bucket, and probably fill your tank up from that. On second thought, buying a McDonalds' wouldn't work out, as some fatso with a shyster lawyer would take me to court, saying that there was no warning about the food being unhealthy posted anywhere, and so they would sue me for millions. ;-)

Reply to
Jimbo

Yet, you wouldn't be able to get free oil from McDonald or any of the chains.. because of the liability...

Reply to
Tiger

I have seen such claims explained (supidly IMO) as the amount of miles you get for the equivelant amount of petrol. E.G. in the UK LPG is about ½ the cost of petrol, so if your car would run for 35 miles on a gallon (£5 worth of petrol), you will hear people say they can get 60 miles to a gallon with LPG. What they mean is they can get 60 miles from what a gallon of petrol would have cost them.

Confusing and stupid, but I have heard that 'measurement' used. Mike

Reply to
Just Mike

I am running 'vegi oil in my 300td... same fuel consumption as diesel, you do not have to preheat it... no conversion required... use only vegetable oil , not animal fat ,: only a few places use vegi oil, such as" new york fries" chain of restaurants. You need to prepare the fuel by heating in a container to loose up the particulates , then filter the oil, then put it in your car! In cold climates, cut the fuel with 10 % diesel or kerosene to keep flow characteristics. I do carry a spare primary fuel filter with me in case of problems.....

Reply to
gltlwlelilslslsl

Wow... and you live in Canada too? How long have you run your diesel this way?

Reply to
Tiger