Veg oil conversion

Hi

Am thinking of converting my Ford Mondeo 1996 1.8 turbo diesel to run on Veg oil.

Anyone have any thoughts on this and what kit I should get. Also is there anyone in the Bristol area that does conversions?

Any feedback good or bad gratefully recieved.

Also does anyone know if there are any implications for MOT/servicing/ insurance etc?

Cheers

Anthony

Reply to
whittaker_anthony

Buy this month's Car Mechanics magazine- there's some very useful info.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but the handbook of my Mondy 2 litre TDCI says don't use biofuel.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Just add the veggie oil direvt to the tank, mixed 50/50 with diesel, and you have to do no more. In hot weather you might be able to go up to 75/25. If you want 100% SVO then you will need to preheat the oil, especially for those cold morning starts. MOT man cares not, and I doubt the insurance will either. And now, since the latest promulgation from HMC&R it is unlikely that they will chase you for the duty either.

Reply to
Brian

Aie - it's a completely different engine. The only two things the donks have in common is the name badge on the car they are (usually) found in.

Reply to
DervMan

They won't, I had a word with a H&M bloke at the side of the road this morning, they were pulling vans and "dipping" the tanks. I asked him about running SVO, he said there was no duty to pay "up to a certain amount" but was pretty vague about it TBH. I'm running about a third SVO in my Xantia (XUD).

Reply to
Tony Bond

Tony Bond ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

2,500 litres per annum.

So as long as you're not getting through 7,500 litres of fuel per year, you're laughing.

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah, I know that, and you know that, but TBH I'm not sure he did :)

Or as long as I don't tell the powers that be that I'm using that much[1]...

[1] I'm not :)
Reply to
Tony Bond

Tony Bond ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

He probably did, but didn't want to admit it because he knew damn well what the response'd be...

Reply to
Adrian

No your not, SVO (straight veg oil) is taxable at the normal diesel rate, its classed as an additive and the new directive is about Biodiesel, SVO is not biodiesel. You can buy kits to make your own bio diesel and there was a recent discussion on radio 2 about it, but putting veg oil direct in your tank can get you into trouble. (not that anyone really gives a shit though)

If you use SVO in your car as a fuel you should pay duty at a rate of 47.1p per litre.

Reply to
Ronny

I think you're wrong. The situation's not exactly clear though. There's a discussion about it here:

Willy Eckerslyke

My parents ran theirs on a 50/50 mix with pump diesel. It appeared to run better.

Reply to
Conor

"The tax break has been reconfirmed by HMRC in a recent late 2006 review.[8] HM Revenue & Customs has announced changes regarding the administration and collection of excise duty of biofuels and other fuel subtitutes (Veg Oil). The changes which come into effect on June 30, 2007 mean that there is no need to register (enter premises) or pay duty on veg oil used as road fuel if you use less than 2500 litres per year.[9]

HMRC argued that SVOs on the market from small producers did not meet the official definition of "biodiesel" in Section 2AA of The Hydrocarbon Oil Duties Act 1979 (HODA), and consequently was merely a "fuel substitute" chargeable at the normal diesel rate. Such a policy seemed to contradict the UK Government's commitments to the Kyoto Protocol and to many EU directives and had many consequences, including an attempt to make the increase retroactive, with one organisation being presented with a £16,000 back tax bill. This change in the rate of excise duty has effectively removed any commercial incentive to use SVO, regardless of its desirability on environmental grounds; unless waste vegetable oil can be obtained free of charge, the combined price of SVO and taxation for its use usually exceeds the price of mineral diesel. HMRC's interpretation is being widely challenged by the SVO industry and the UK pure Plant Oil Association (UKPPOA) has been formed to represent the interests of people using vegetable oil as fuel and to lobby parliament.[10]"

I don't think HMRC even know exactly what they are doing :)

Reply to
Ronny

Erm, as far as I can see that pdf only applies to MAKERS of the bio fuel, not users - users still have duty to pay on it?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

My take on this, is that by buying veg oil (eg in a supermarket) and putting it into your fuel tank, you become a maker of biofuel. You don't have to actually process it in any way. This is based entirely on past threads, garbled info on the web and hearsay, which makes me an expert, innit.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Dunno which organisation you're refering to, but that figure sounds very similar to one in a test case I read about yesterday which the producer _won_ against the HMRC. I'll have a look later and see if I can find it again.

Agreed!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I run my XUD Xantia TD on it, anything up to 80% veg. Runs fine. I've done this for over 130,000 miles now with various XUD engines, never had a problem. The 2.5 diesel in the LDV loves it too..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

check fuel lines are polyethylene not rubber or they will be eaten alive by SVO (straight Veg oil) second tank system is best, once engine is warm switch to veg which is heated in an exchanger then before you stop switch back to dino diesel to purge system ( keeps pump seals etc happy) you are allowed to "make" 2500 lts per year tax free, that includes using SVO, any more and you need to pay duty (yea right!!) best motors for SVO are old mercs and any tdi (VW group). any diesel car will run fine on biodiesel or blend, biodiesel is a better fuel and you will need to change the fuel filter after a tank or two as the Biodiesel or SVO will clean ALL the shit built up by dino diesel over the years.

Reply to
Staffbull

not really, to be sure of getting round it you add 5ml of solvent to the SVO to make it a "biodiesel" just say you put it in and youre fine.

Reply to
Staffbull

I used to have problems at the same ratio in a Pajero and that has a pre combustion chamber to help things along, only in winter though, summer was fine :-)

Reply to
Staffbull