VW Dealer Service v Independent?

Everything's coming at once and my Mk IV Golf 1.4L is due it's 40k service in a month or so, apparently it's "the big one" of the various services.

I called a few VW main dealers who all quoted around £265. The local independent VW place who comes highly recommended want £200.

I'm totally split over what to do.

I've had no problems with the car or the servicing at the main dealers, but this is the first service I've had to pay outright for (when I purchased the car I paid £240 or so to pay for the first three services).

I'm sure that the independent can do the job just as well as the main dealers, possibly better, but I have this nagging feeling that the £70 extra might be money well spent when I come to sell/part ex the car as service book stamps are one of the things I believe they try and beat you with.

For anyone in the Leics area the independent is the "Lion Garage" near Hinckley.

Any thoughts appreciated, I know this gets asked quite a bit.

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

40k sounds a bit early for the "big" (ie belts) service - more than likely oil / filters / plugs etc. Even with cabin and fuel filters it's unlikely to be more than 100 quid in bits and 3 hrs labour. Brakes will be getting towards the changing point by this mileage though - independant might be including a set of pads that the dealer wouldn't. 65 quid isn't a big saving - especially as most main dealers give free loan cars and free mini valet. I'd carry on shopping around if that's like for like.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

£165 for three hours - £55/hour. Sounds very cheap for a German marque dealer.

I'd go with the indie. You're likely to have the people who did all their learning at the dealer five-ten years ago working on your car. Why pay more to have the trainees do the work?

Reply to
Adrian

various

dealers,

=A3265 sounds VERY good for a main dealer 'big' service. Last time I went to the main dealer I think servicing started at =A33xx, just for a normal service, but I may be wrong. =A3200 at an independant sounds a little pricey, but it depends what needs doing really.

Also at the main dealer some of the parts may be a bit better, and should be genuine OEM parts. If the difference is =A365 I'd probably go for the main dealer service.

I suppose it also depends how long you're likely to keep the car. If you plan to keep it for a long time, eg. until it dies, then the stamp in the book won't really be much use.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Depends on how old and how long you intend to keep the car, if you are the

1st or 2nd owner and the car is below 7yrs old then take it to the main dealers , only because a stamped up service history will assist a sale when you come to change your vehicle. The service in between is the oil change, I think the dealer will still stamp the book but tick the boxes to say they have not carried out the work.
Reply to
Avanti

Well, AFAIK it's the big one in terms of how VW services rotate, but you're right I don't think belts and things happen until about 80k (without looking in the book).

I didn't think anywhere did pads as a routine service item nowdays, other than checking them for wear?

I'm assuming it's like for like as I'd expect a 40k service at an indy to cover everything a 40k service at a dealer would do. Perhaps I should ask exactly what they would do that's any different to what's in the manual.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

This is what should be done at 40k service Oil & Filter change Spark Plugs replaced Check Timing Belt condition VW fluid check Rotate Wheels front to rear (extra cost) Check battery fluid Pollen FIlter replacement Check tyres Check Brake discs Road test Air filter replacement Front axle check headlight adjust Brake fluid change (extra cost) Reset service indicator Check drive shafts Check cooling system gearbox check Check airbag system Replace fuel filter and more....

The big services are every 20K so if buying a car at 80k make sure it has had the correct service, the minie service is essentially an oil change.

Reply to
Avanti

Personal I think anyone with any sense with value the stamp of a decent VW independant as highly as the main dealer at resale.

Reply to
Jon B