Annual Car Service: Dealer or Independent?

I have just bought my first car/van (2000 Citroen Berlingo Multispace). It has a full Service history and looking back through the log book it all seems to have been done by a Citroen dealer. I would like to keep it in good shape as my last car, bought by my parents, was slightly neglected. It is due for its 120,000 service, should I do it by the book and take it to a Citroen dealer as it has been or is it ok to take it to my local mechanic that my family has used for years. Will he look over the Service book and do as required for that particular service, fill in the log book etc? Is that something only a dealer will do?

Reply to
thekendall_1

Main Dealer stamps showing service history *do* help maintain resale value - but only so far. When a car reaches the sort of age and mileage that yours has the savings resulting from using a local mechanic will outweigh the value of Citroen dealer stamps in the service book. You ask " Will he (the local mechanic) look over the Service book and do as required for that particular service, fill in the log book etc?" Well, he will if you instruct him to do so! Just as important as having the book stamped is that you keep with the Service book detailed receipts for work carried out, showing date and mileage.

Reply to
DB.

(thekendall snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's something that you stand a FAR better chance of being done properly - and at half the price - if you avoid a main dealer like the plague and go to a good independent garage.

Reply to
Adrian

And you will be even more certain that it has been done properly if you buy a good workshop manual and do it yourself.

Reply to
JAT

Except the few cars where a low mileage and dealer maintained car will go for silly money. When FVWSH MK2 Golf GTis turn up on ebay, they regularly fetch £3k. That's a hell of a lot more than a good Golf normally goes for.

Reply to
Doki