W-reg Corsa 1.2 16v ecotec stall when hot

This started happening a week ago: driving down the motorway the engine will work perfectly when cold, but once it reaches its normal temperature (about

91 degrees according to the gauge), it will misfire once very briefly, then continue as if nothing had happened. No warning lights appear.

But after that if I let the revs drop below 1500 or so, the engine will simply stop, and all the warning lights come on ('ECM', the little engine picture, etc.)

Then it can't be restarted using the starter motor for at least ten minutes, although you can restart it by bump-starting and keep it running by keeping the revs high. The warning lights go out again when the engine's running.

Any ideas?

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Willcocks

I would first suspect (from experience) the EGR valve. A tech 2 check will tell you the most recent fault.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Followed by the coil. But the fault codes are the way to go.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Replace the crank angle sensor (CAS)

It's in the very first stages of failing.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I replaced the CAS with a new one bought from our local Vauxhall dealer (£35 approx) and the problem went away :-)

For anybody else out there, the sensor can be replaced fairly easily if you put the car up on ramps. It's at the bottom right of the engine, tucked up behind the half-shaft. It's held in with a single small bolt, albeit with a strange Vauxhall hex-castellated head. But if you're careful an ordinary hex socket works. Make sure you remove the old 'O' ring.

-- Roger

Reply to
Roger Willcocks