Make-a-gasket

I need to make a gasket to seal between two pieces of exhaust which have flanges that bolt together.

The factory gasket is four sheets of thin metal stuck together.

I'd thought of using beer cans or similar, but is there a better material I can buy in sheets?

Reply to
Mark W

"Mark W" wrote

Possibly, but the downside is that it will be supplied without any beer ;-)

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

I would suggest a gasket made from sheet copper would do the job just as well as the OE one. I don't think it needs to be laminated if you make it from 0.5-1.0mm thick sheet. Fully anneal it before fitting, by getting it red hot then plunging it in cold water. That'll make it soft enough to take up any irregularities in the flange surfaces. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If you can't get the correct gasket, use some exhaust paste. Not the perfect solution, but it works, and is far more tollerant of any surface irregularities on the two flanges, than any gasket is.

Reply to
moray

Have you tried a local motor factor? They'll more than likely have the correct part for a few quid.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong