91 Civic EX White Smoke Only when Engine is warm

I have a 91 Civic with 114000 miles. When I start the car when its cold (sitting all day or night) everything is fine. The car starts easy and runs perfectly. However if I drive it for 10-15 minutes and shut the engine off it is very hard to restart. When I try to restart it the engine turns over ok but there is a TON of white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. The only way I can get the car to start is to hold the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor while cranking the engine. I have to do this about 10 seconds before the car will start and the white smoke continues for another minute or two before clearing up. Again, once the car is running its runs great. I had a small crack in the top radiator tank which did cause the car to overheat briefly but I was able to add coolant quickly to cool the car down. I have since replaced the radiator. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Steve

Monitor your coolant reservoir level and report back. Also, carry anti-freeze with you, and keep an eye on the temperature gage.

Could be a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head. Google for {"head gasket" "white smoke" symptoms} or similar for more info.

The breach may only appear after parts have expanded from being warmed up.

This is not a definite diagnosis but rather something you want to eliminate as soon as possible.

Elle Original owner, 1991 Civic LX, 174k miles

"Steve" wrote

when its cold

starts easy and

and shut the