Water in Escort Fusebox

Hi,

My fusebox is playing up again....this time there seems to be water in it, which can't be good news :-(

I was alerted by a neighbour that I'd left my lights on. When I went to switch them off there was a buzzing noise a bit like the lights-left-on warning noise (which wasn't apparent when I got out after parking it, in fact I don't even remember putting the lights on!). The noise wasn't like the usual warning noise, it was very abrasive and rattly (not constant in other words) almost like a relay switching on and off very fast. It continued even after I'd switched the lights off.

It sounded like it was coming from the fusebox, so I undid the cover. Removing every fuse in turn didn't stop the noise to I unclipped it and had a prod at the relays on top. Non seemed to be making the noise, in fact it sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the 'box.

So, getting a bit annoyed at it (and the car in general) I gave it a good thump. It stopped briefly and then restarted. Another thump seemed to cure it.

It was then that I noticed a couple of drops of water coming from the fusebox...

I've had a look in the engine compartment, where the wiring loom comes through (next to the wiper motor (IIRC) and there was a bit of water there but I couldn't see any blocked drainage ducts.

Last time I had a fusebox problem someone said that it wasn't uncommon to get water in the Mk6 Escort fuseboxes....but how does it get in???

I've left the fusebox un-clipped for the time being in the hope it'll drain.

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

IIRC between the bulkhead and inner wing.

"They do that Sir"

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The message from Pete Smith contains these words:

Sod - you beat me to it!

Reply to
Guy King

Okaaaay.... I've taken the fuesbox out and stripped it down. The top board (where the relays go) was covered with green gunk (presubably a copper oxide).

I still can't see where the water's getting in though. The carpets and linings are dry, as are the wires and plugs. By 'between the bulkhead and inner wing' do you mean you have to remove the inner plastic wheel arch liner to see it???

Going to put it back together now. Bet it doesn't go...

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain

It's all back together and working (phew)! Only one minor spark (forgot there was more than one +ve lead to disconnect from the battery.

Had a problem with the high-beam relay. It was pretty gunked up as well. Managed to clean it ok though.

Another query re the water ingress - in the known fault, does it occur during driving (ie spray from wheels) or while sitting in heavy rain?

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain

Hmmm.... Phoned Ford this morning for a price for a new fusebox. "£133+VAT, sir".

The wife phoned them a little while later. "Certainly, madam. That will be £171+VAT".

She phoned them back and told them what I'd been quoted. Apparently there is no way that the price I was quoted could have been correct and the guy I spoke to must have been wrong.

We both gave them the reg of the vehicle (that's all they needed to know), so it's a little concerning (but not entirely unexpected).

Would any other factor carry the fusebox? PartCo etc???

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

That's cheap.

Still not bad - mine was £211 + VAT

were the only place I found - about 20%cheaper than my local Ford dealer.

Reply to
Macie

I phoned another dealer and they quoted £206 inc VAT, so I suppose the higher price is the new one.

Did your new one come with fuses? The parts guy said that he thought they did (but not relays, needless to say).

Cheers,

Iain

Reply to
Iain McLaren

There are many different fuseboxes for these things so prices between types will vary, as will prices between dealers.

I was told that they come bare with no fuses or relays - I ended up with one from a breakers, a slightly different model which *nearly* works [1] although this was after getting three of the correct model which didn't.

Reply to
Macie

It was something that plagued the Escort from (IIRC) Mk3 until the day they stopped making them.

As I said.. "They do that, Sir"

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith