Water loss problem

I'm losing coolant at the rate of about half a litre every 50/60 miles. There is no visible leak so i suspect that its the head gasket, especially as i've noticed the engine running "unevenly" lately, mainly till it warms up. Is there any sealer similar to Radweld that will seal a leaking head gasket. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rob

Is there any sealer similar to Radweld that will seal a leaking head gasket.

Unfortunately the answer is No, and it could do lots of damage if you continue to drive it. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

50/60 miles.

especially

till it warms

head gasket.

Yes you can provided its not too big a leak. Once it gets to a certain size it deteriorates VERY rapidly as the compression and Exhaust burn through the hole and you'll start putting down a seriously dangerous smoke screen.

For a quick temporary fix there's the Block Sealer from Halfords £5.50 but this entails removal of the thermostat, bypassing the heater matrix and is NOT anti-freeze compatible. It works a treat when its in but when you flush it out (as you have to) the fault re-occurs quite quickly.

Recommended to me by a member of this group was a far better product called "K-Seal" imported from the US by LB Restoration Services in Birmingham (Tel: 0121 358 7448 ). It is available mail order at £8.95 plus £2 carriage and arrived next day. You keep the thermostat and antifreeze in and leave the K-Seal in as well. I've been running it for a few weeks now with no loss of coolant at all despite a cracked head across the gasket on a 2.0i Sierra (I know, I took it off but wasn't in a position to purchase a replacement for a car bordering on scrap). The head was replaced with a new gasket but continued to smoke water albeit at a much reduced level. The K-Seal has stopped this completely, no white smoke, no water loss and the heaters operate as effectively as ever. It claims to be a "Permanent solution" to cracked heads and leaking head gaskets etc but I don't have any great expectations for it. At least, it gives me time to look for a replacement.

Reply to
SandS