Coolant loss on Passat

My son bought a 2.0 litre 'Y' reg Passat two months ago. Perfect nick with just 16k confirmed miles on the clock. He noticed on collection that the coolant level was below minimum and this was topped up. He has checked today and the level is back below minimum so clearly he is losing coolant from somewhere. There is no sign at all of any water leaks under the bonnet, and never any sign of water on the floor under the car. He is beggining to worry that this might be a head-gasket problem (although the car does have a

3 month warranty and he is taking it back to the garage tomorrow). The engine runs perfectly and there is no sign of 'mayonnaise' under the oil filler cap, and no 'steam' from the exhaust. Anyone any experience of coolant loss with the 2.0 litre petrol Passat? Common fault or no?

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

It could be as simple as a faulty rad cap or leaky waterpump - whatever, it's the garages responsibility to sort it out..

I've just had a waterpump replaced on a Toyota Celica with only 30000 miles, thankfully it's still under warranty!

Reply to
jb

Could be lots of things - my 98 Passat developed a small leak in the radiator which was very hard to find. Any sensible workshop should have a cooling system pressure tester - they can pump it up & see if its hold pressure & if not then where the leak is.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Thanks both for that. Hopefully the garage will sort it out - I just wanted to know if there were any particular coolant problems with the Passat that my son should know about before he took it back!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!