Water, water everywhere...

Hi,

I've got a 93 Calibra 8v SE ... with wet carpets. Does anybody know where the water comes from ?

I know there's a drainage hole in each of the back footwells, but surely thats to let the water out, not splash up from the road ...

I wonder if something if blocked under the bonnet & rain water is spilling into the heating vents (under the dash & fromt seats) ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (Dave) contains these words:

Sunroof?

Reply to
Guy King

Got aircon? Maybe the drains are blocked. Also sunroof drains will let water run in from all sorts of places.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Check the shut-lines around the tops of the doors . The window frames sometimes start to sag away from the body so the door seals don't work.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

In the centre of the bulkhead, behind the inlet manifold should be an L shaped rubber tube pointing down towards the road. If the tube is blocked, water will back up in the heater plenum chamber, and will eventually reach a level where it will come in through the heater box air intake. It then runs through and out of the footwell vents, soaking the carpets.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

No idea how the Calibra one works, but every car I've been in has a heater matrix within the passenger comparment. On an 1995 Escort I had this had sprung a leak and wet the front of the carpet. I isolated it temporarily by using a piece of 15mm copper pipe which was enough to let me carry on using the car until I'd bought a replacement!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Thanks for your comments lads,

I think Anthony has hit the nail on the head. I just took another look and theres a large flattened drain hose, about 3" wide x 1" deep x 9" long located at the centre of the bulkhead. I gave it a wiggle and it started to pour with water, and then muck.

Sounds like it's a common problem with aging cavaliers / calibras.

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
Dave

My Cavaliers both leak via the blower motor. The motor is surrounded by a plastic wall, but water drips down from the plastic cover that runs above it all the way across the width of the engine bay, above the bulkhead. I cured this by clipping some pond liner over the exposed area.

Reply to
PM

Don't know about Calibra but generally check for...

Sunroof: Between the glass and the rubber seal; It won't be getting through the seal between the roof light and the body - its meant to go in there and out drain tubes. Unless the tubes are blocked (unlikely).

Blower, as mentioned above. Especially if scuttle drain tubes are full of leaves.

Holed wheel arches.

Through the door membrane found right behind the door trim. See my other thread on this today.

Defective door seals, or door not closing tight enough.

Rear or front windscreen seal leaking - this can cause severe rust under parcel shelf too (in saloon).

Leaking heater hose - had that in a Porsche would you believe. The hose actually came into the compartment (924).

-- Phil Replace NOSPAM with bigfoot to reply

Reply to
Phil