Whining noise - driveshafts?

My car (R reg 106) developed an intermittent whine on the A46 today! It is silent under load and starts whining when you take your foot off the throttle (ie coasting). Braking sometimes silences it, but not always.

It happens above 20mph or so, and it does it coasting in neutral too.

Steering slightly right also makes it silent but I can't drive in big circles :)

And no, the wife wasn't in the car.

Because it's not constant, I assume it's not bearings. As ever though, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong...

Thanks for any feedback.

Reply to
Mark

Front wheel bearing.