Help to pinpoint metallic whining noise

The missus's Volvo 850 M reg estate has developed an odd metallic whining noise - oddly, it reminds me of whales singing !

It is only noticeable when traveling very slowly - 2-3 mph. It is coming from the front. It sounds like clutch plates (?) but the noise is evident whether the car is in gear or rolling along with clutch pedal depressed. The speed doesn't seem to correlate with the intensity or frequency of the whine - it remains pretty constant between 1-5 mph. As soon as the car comes to a halt the noise stops.

I'm thinking it must be summat on the clutch, or brake discs, or power steering?

Any thoughts on what to try to i.d. the problem ?

Cheers

-- JohnB

Reply to
JohnB

Pop the front wheels off and have a look at pads and disc, worth checking th eback while you have a tyre iron handy :)

Reply to
Petesmad

Can do - but it's just had 2 new tyres on the front and a new MOT - garageman said brakes were fine. It does stop on a sixpence too without any shudder or whine.

JohnB

Reply to
JohnB

hmmm the plot thickens, could there be a small stone wedged on the pad between the pad and disc if you see what I mean ? Could be worth taking them out and cleaning it all up to see if there is anything then refit and see if its still there. But I think i'm barking up the wrong tree here. Sounding like it could from somewhere else.

Reply to
Petesmad

Given it's an 850, check both front wheelbearings..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks Tim - not considered that - is that a common problem on an 850?

What's the best way to check them ?

Ta

-- JohnB

Reply to
JohnB

Jack up and spin each wheel listening for a dry rumble / clicking.

As someone else said, it could be something lodged in the disc, or the disc cracked / breaking up- check this first.

Wheel bearings do go on the FWD volvo's but not til 120k+ miles at least.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Hi JohnB,

Any joy in finding the problem ?

Reply to
Petesmad

Not yet - probably won't get to have a look until the weekend now.

Cheers

-- Johnb

Reply to
JohnB