99 XJ front end noise

So I've developed a new strange noise emanating from the front end of my Jeep recently. It sounds similar to a bad bearing, but doesn't change in volume when I turn right or left. My experience has shown that bearings will be louder when you put the weight of the vehicle on the bad bearing, i.e. turning left on a bad right bearing will change the sound.

So, my noise is similar to a rumble, not so much a grinding. It does get a little louder when I brake, when the weight of the jeep shifts to the front axle. Brakes are good, not great, but I get the noise when driving, grows louder with speed, but does so in Drive or Neutral, 4WD part time or 2WD.

So, experts, I know it's difficult (impossible) to diagnose via Usenet, but some direction would be helpful.

I'm also planning a small lift in the near future, so I'm hoping to roll the two into one visit to the garage.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Josh

Reply to
Josh D

Hub assy. Got the same thing happening on my 93 and its the bearing in the front hub assy.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

How's that for a repair? I'm probably a 3 on a 5 scale, I can follow direction and have a little common sense, and a garage with a lift and full toolbox.

Should I buy OEM parts or something like Quadratec or other aftermarket supplier? Should I do both now?

Thanks again!

Reply to
Josh D

As far as I know you pretty much have to replace the whole hub, I haven't looked into how difficult of a procedure it is, the garage I take my 93 to for the "dirty" work, made it sound pretty straight forward. If I get a chance I'll take a look through some of the manuals I have and see if its something the average person can do (as in needing non specialized tooling).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Great! Thanks for the help!