Wiper timing fault (intermittent) - any ideas?

Hello, I'm trying to trace an irritating problem with my windscreen wipers (my car is a Fiat Tipo 1.4), which work fine most of the time, but occasionally (perhaps once or twice per hour of wiper use) seem to stick at the fast wipe setting for a few seconds when operating in normal or intermittent wipe modes. A few days ago, the wipers also stopped completely in the middle of the screen for a minute or so, and would not respond to any change in settings, before resuming normal operation.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to the likely cause of this? Replacing the wiper motor would be simple enough, but I don't know if the circuit controlling the wiper speed and timing is inside the unit, or further back in the electrical system.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Reply to
Chris Jones