cavalier door security

What you describe is made for certain vehicles, but I have not seen yours listed. You would get better security by adding a deadlock to each door. This would have a separate key completely. I added home front door type 5 lever deadbolts (screwfix 13 pounds each) to my camper van. You can get dedicated car ones from accessory shops. It won't stop them breaking the window, but even then the door won't open!!

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I made some up for mine and welded them in. Last time some scally tried it they barely scratched the paint. So then they tried breaking the passenger window. Which is plexiglass, just hope the brick bounced off and hit em in the head.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

The police in Bristol Hospital are recommending that the best way to stop thieving gits is to make sure the car is empty. Leave your glove compartment open so they can see there's nothing in it, remove the rear parcel shelf etc.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Personally I would like to wire the car to the nearest lamppost and pour a bucket of water on the ground around the car to stop some ned breaking into it.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

You probably don't want to know how some scrotes got into mine earlier this year, then. It wasn't pretty, shall we say.

As they seem to be common targets now, why not buy something else and ease your worries ?

Reply to
John Laird

Well mines a Saab C900. Their spotted in behind the handle and lock area, about 6"X4". Add about 2kilos to the weight of the car but its defo more difficult to get into it now. BTW I made up the 2kilos by swapping the side windows from Glass to Plexiglass.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Absolutely , the deadlock is a completely separate lock to the original, so you don't even bother to do the standard lock. To break in you would have to use a great deal of force. Sticking a screwdriver down the side of the std. lock needs hardly any effort or any heavy equipment. The screwdriver just releases the standard lock, (the only advantage to the screwdriver is that it is quicker than a coathanger and works if the lock is protected inside the door) then the handle is pulled up as per normal getting into a car.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

They look in the ashtray for change or a key for alloy wheels, maybe even a house key.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

how about a remote control alarm for the locking and then fit a pair of rear door handles in the front doors, that was always a common cav mod

Spark

Reply to
C H

Hi

Got a 1990 Cav and someone's got in by sticking a screwdriver through where the doorhandle joins the metal and prying the lock. Twice in two weeks.

Does anyone know if you can get metal plates for this area (or even better, metal door handles)? Is it practical to ask a bodyshop to make some?

Thanks

Liz

Reply to
lizbubb

Hi **-**

You made metal lock plates? Did they cover the whole under handle area which is plastic, or just reinforce the surround? I'm thinking of asking a body shop to make some for me.

liz

Reply to
lizbubb

Hi Mr Cheerful

They aren't bothering with the window at the minute, just going straight through the door. Would the deadlock resist being pried where the normal lock doesn't?

liz

Reply to
lizbubb

I do!

Both times they've gone in the ashtray as well - haven't worked out why though. Maybe looking for a key for the steering lock?

liz

Reply to
lizbubb