Witter Towbar Electrics Problems

I'm having a few problems with A Witter tow bar electrics kit and hope someone can help.

I'm fitting the kit to my 1999 Ford Focus hatchback - for simplicity I decided to get the specific kit from Witter for this car, which from the Witter website is their part number ZEKF0001. This plugs into the car loom and adds an electronics box marked 5C009. From the instruction leaflet the kit appears to be made by a company called ECS Electronics.

I located the connectors and installed everything OK. The Witter 12N socket had a terminal marked '8' with a link to pin 2 which is made when there is no plug fitted and opens when there is a plug fitted. I figured this was for the foglight and was the terminal referred to as '2A' in the Witter instruction leaflet, so I connected the grey wire to it.

So far so good, now to the problems.

Firstly, the foglight and reversing light are back to front - if I put the car into reverse, the trailer foglight comes on. When the trailer is plugged in the car reverse light is disabled instead of the car foglight. I have followed the colour code for 12N, so I figure it must be an error in the kit wiring - I'm thinking it could be the kit is for a LHD Focus which has the reverse and foglights on the opposite sides - does this sound possible?

Secondly there is no audible indicator warning included - I thought for the price of the kit it would include everything, but apparently not. Do I have to fit an audible warning, or is there any way to get a warning indicator on the Focus?

Finally, do Witter offer a support phone line at all? There does not appear to be one on their website - I guess I should have checked before ordering direct from them.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

But I take it from this that you guessed that this must be for the fog light. Could it be for the reversing light instead?

Why not just swap the fog and reversing light connections and see what happens?

Reply to
Malc

Not quite.

The switch that you've found is to cut out the car's rear fog lights and to do so you would need to interrupt the car's circuit and wire it through pin 8. Personally I'd just ignore that feature and make no connection to pin 8.

(see Note 1)

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks for the responses. It finally stopped raining again so I was able to check, and I'm pretty much sure that the Witter kit is wired wrong. This means I need to swap the pins in the Witter multiplugs. I had a quick poke around with a small screwdriver but failed to free the pins, I'll try again tomorrow.

That just leaves the lack of audible / visual alarm - and to think I paid extra to get a Witter car specific kit so I could avoid all these hassles ;-(.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I'm slightly puzzled by what you say because the trailer reverse light connection doesn't go through the 12N anyway, it goes through the 12S. Are you fitting twin electrics, or only single? If only single, you won't get any reversing lights on the trailer (if it's wired correctly!)

It's pretty clear that you've interrupted the wire going to the car's reverse light rather than the foglight. Are they similar colours? The Witter instructions *may* have it wrong - or you may have confused the colours, confusing (say) a red wire with green marker for a green wire with red marker, or something like that.

The law does not require an audible warning per se - it simply requires a means wherely the driver can confirm that the trailer lights are flashing, when sitting in the driving seat. Many cars are pre-wired for this and have an additional flashing light on the dashboard when a trailer is connected. Are you sure that yours doesn't?

Reply to
Roger Mills

They are single electrics. The Witter wiring came as a complete pre-wired loom. Basically you start with:

Focus multiplug -> Focus multisocket

You split this connection and insert the Witter loom. Some of this is wired direct through, ie:

Focus multiplug -> Witter multisocket -> cable -> Witter multiplug -> Focus multisocket

Whilst some goes through the new Witter interface box:

Focus multiplug -> Witter multisocket -> cable -> Witter interface box

-> cable -> Witter multiplug -> Focus multisocket

Witter (or their supplier) have mixed up the reverse light wiring and the foglight wiring.

Not 100% sure - I haven't been able to find any references to it in the workshop manual but I'm still looking (and have posted the question to Focus newsgroup.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Certainly sounds like you've got a kit for a LHD model. Ideally swapping the pins around in the multiplugs is the best solution, but unless you can figure out how to dismantle them without breaking them, it'll be far easier to just cut the concerned wires and rejoin them.

Will most likely be done through the existing indicator warning lamps. The electronic box will detect when something is plugged in, and should fool the car electronics into thinking it's got a blown bulb if the trailer lamp isn't working. Easy way to check is plug a trailer board in, and take an indicator bulb out it, and try the indicators. Certainly transits use this method when fitted with a genuine ford wiring kit, which is supplied as part of Witter tow bar kits.

Reply to
moray

So what happens when you connect a trailer and operate the flashers? Do any additional dashboard lamps come on over and above what you get without a trailer? [Maybe both left and right arrows at the same time - like with the hazards - rather than just one]. If so, that's all you need - don't worry about a buzzer.

Using the Witter kit, are the trailer flashers connected directly in parallel with the corresponding car flashers, or through an additional relay?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I think you are probably right - it still doesn't want to stop raining so I've left it for this weekend.

Yep, that did the trick - If I remove a trailer indicator bulb it flashes double speed.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Chris ( snipped-for-privacy@chrisangalongthedottedline.free-online.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Doesn't tell you you've forgotten to plug the trailer lights in, though...

"Odd, I can't hear the buzzer. Bugger."

Reply to
Adrian

If I use left and right indicators with trailer connected, I only get the normal dash indicators. Ford specify a special hazard switch for trailer use, which I've fitted. This has an LED built in that flashes green when using the hazards with trailer connected, but does nothing with left and right turn indicators.

The indicators are wired through the same interface box as the foglight etc. If I remove a trailer indicator bulb the indicators flash double speed, which I assume meets the legal requirements of indication from the driver's seat.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Try this :

Witter Towbars Drome Rd,Deeside Industrial Park, Deeside, Clwyd CH5 2NY Tel: 01244 284500

See if calling them passes you onto someone from support ! ;-)

(From

Graham

Reply to
Graham2

Thanks Graham - I think I've more or less got it sussed now, but I'll call them to see if I can get an explanation.

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris