Wot's this car bit called?

HI all,

What is the correct name for this car component? You often see them mounted on the bulkhead behind the brake master cylinder. They're kind of like a distribution point for brake fluid. They resemble a matchbox-sized steel block with brake lines going in and coming out to the various slave cylinders. Wot's the proper name for 'em?

Cheers,

CD

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not sure. Some cars have something like you described - but rather bigger - to control the anti-lock braking.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Union e.g. 3 way union, 4 way union

Reply to
Biggles

I'd probably call them a Henley block!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bob Eager expressed precisely :

A brake manifold.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

thats what I would call it

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Same here - if you do a Google image search for "brake line manifold" you might see a picture of something you like.

However ... on cars with dual circuit hydralics, some of these manifold blocks have a balance valve thingy which will trigger a warning light on the dash if theres a leak in the system.

When you fix the leak you have to manually reset the valve. So dont throw it out (yet) - its probably not broken

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Generally called a 3 or 4 way female connector. But they tend to be a T or whatever little bigger than the pipe union. If larger, may include a restrictor valve for front/rear brake balance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

MOT failure

Reply to
Andrew

I think that would be a hydraulic distributor, possibly with spool valves

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd go with that

Reply to
Andy Burns

just like a central heating manifold

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Single point of failure?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

That's always the loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

photo may help

Reply to
rick

Some cars have a separate "brake proportioning valve". This limits the brake pressure to the rear wheels.

On some cars (French?) it a load sensitive valve with a link to the rear anti roll bar.

Others (Japanese?) it's on the side of the master cylinder.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I had one fitted to the rear anti-roll bar on a Fiat 124 - I believe they called it a "tipping valve"

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Ditto Astra 'F' Estate, but connected to the rear torsion bar which is also an anti-roll bar.

Reply to
Andrew