Xantia 2.0 hdi rear lights problem

When I put the Xantia in reverse the Foglamps indicator on the dash lights up, the rear foglamps illuminate but reverse lights do not come on.

After much gnashing of teeth and scratching of head, I discover that with the reverse gear engaged, the reverse lights will indeed come on, but only when the hatch is open to the point that the interior boot light comes on !

Is this simply a case of something wired the wrong way round or have I missed something simple ? I have no clue where to look - hope someone can help.

regards ian

Reply to
doc

It is simply a case of French electrics.

Reply to
gazzafield

Basic rule of thumb with any weird electrical fault - check and clean all local earth connections. I'm 99% sure that's what it will be and if you are not able to fault-find with a multi-meter (if you were you wouldn't be asking!), then that's the best first approach.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Exactly.

IIRC the Xant has the rear foggies and reversing lights on the tailgate. BOUND to be a poor earth somewhere.

It's a tupperware tailgate, IIRC.

Reply to
Adrian

Right, fed by a cable loom which might have worn each time the lid was opened. Also clean all bulbs and contacts, also that the filaments are ok. On twin filaments, sometimes one will break and make contact with the lower one. Leads to all sorts of weird lighting effects. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Thanks to everyone who helped.

It turned out to be worn loom where it enters the hatch. It had been done before, repaired badly, and the soldered joints had come apart. They also managed to disconnect rear window heater !

Anyway - all sorted now thanks to local spark and £60

Reply to
doc