Interior lights Citroen BX19GTI

Interior light not working on any door switch. There is a relay or timer in the circuits which delay the switch off for a period after the door is closed.

Obtained a replacement for the one located in the steering column cover but this did not solve the problem.

Any one got a manual for this model? Probably not - 1988 model, (but still goes like a bomb).

Reply to
Lofty.

This problem is apparent on my "fix it if I ever have time to fix non-essentials" list for my 205 GTi.

"Don't get a French car," they said. :)

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Have you checked the bulb and the supply to the bulb?

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Sorry Alan, should have said that both of the interior lights illuminate when using the manual switches.

Reply to
Lofty.

Strangely enough I had the same problem on the Xantia. I ended up after a few months simply cleaning the bulb holder on both door posts. Both had developed dodgy contacts simultaneously.

Reply to
Sir Hubert Beaudegarde

"Sir Hubert Beaudegarde" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

But did the int lights work when switched on at the door posts? Mine do.>

Reply to
Lofty.

I've got a 1989 BX GTI, I've got a similar problem except my courtesy lights work fine off switches and the rear doors but not the front doors.

To confuse things further, the little display next to the ash tray that tells you which doors are open still works perfectly! I originally thought they must work off the same switch, if they do there's something very strange going on.

I love French cars.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne ( snipped-for-privacy@cheerful.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

IIRC, they don't. There's a microswitch in the lock for the door-open warning, and a normal push-button courtesy light switch.

Reply to
Adrian

Thank you, that narrows it down a bit. That moves it from the "Things I'll probably never fix" list to "Something I might get round to having a look at sometime" list.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Ah no. Out under all circumstances.

Reply to
Malc

It's a common BX problem.

Undo the door pillar push switch.

Remove the switch, be carefull not to loose the wire connection off the end.

Clean the contact piont of the switch, you wull find it covered in a green corrosion.

Clean the earth point on the switch and where the screw fixes it back in.

Replace the switch, not forgetting to re-connect the wire.

That should do the trick, it takes 5mins max per switch, I did my daughters Peugot this evening.

Regards Slim

Reply to
martin.taz

I think you may have something there, but not sure what you mean by door open warning. Not an audible warning on mine. My BX has a diagram of the car on the dash. If a door, the bonnet or boot are not closed properly a warning light appears on the diagram showing where the problem is. There is an audible warning if you open the door to get out when the lights are on. When the delay action started playing up the interior lights (one on each centre door post) failed to illuminate when a door was opened but the 'lights on' warning started when the door was CLOSED, speeded up (sounding strangled) and then stopped. That happened on several occasions, but then no longer happened.

I assumed that the timer (relay?) which I located (and replaced) under the steering column cover was the only thing affecting the interior lights, so where exactly is the microswitch you mentioned to be found, and what is its function? Of course it occurs to me that the second hand timer that I bought might be as duff as the original ( assuming that that is the problem)

Reply to
Lofty.