XR2 not idling

Hello, the car is a 1984 MkII XR2. It has suddenly started dying every time the revs drop to idle, which makes driving a bit tricky. The last time it did this, it was just the wire to the idle solenoid that had come loose, but it's firmly attached. Anyone have any other ideas? Everything else is fine, smooth acceleration, good power, etc, and I can't see any that's come loose.

Cheers, Alan

------------------------------- a[dot]cole[at]ntlworld[dot]com

88 944 S 84 XR2
Reply to
Alan Cole

probably there is some dirt in the primary idle jet.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

From my memory, bad idling on carb'd cars was air leaks. You've not knocked off any small hoses on the inlet manifold have you ?

Reply to
Ebodski

Pretty sure all the hoses are where they should be. The idling isn't just bad, it's non-existent! Having said that, it will idle for a while when the engine is stone cold (i.e. choke on full), plus when this started happening I'd run the tank almost to empty so have probably sucked up some crap floating in the tank.

Will be investigating first thing in the morning.....

Thanks for the replies! Alan

Reply to
Alan Cole

Locate the idle jet and undo it, if possible while the engine is idling (even if every badly) if the idle improves dramatically as the jet is moved then the idle jet is almost certainly blocked (or you have a major air leak)

IIRC the jets on your carb are fed via a long narrow channel between the two halves of the float chamber. Lots of crap builds up in this channel and it may be necessary to clear this channel several times to sort the problem.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Reply to