Zafira 2.0TDi not starting.

Had this problem once over the Christmas break and it's just happened again, can anyone suggest cause / solution?

When we turn the engine on the starter, it doesn't start. The engine turns, but the ignition doesn't 'catch'. However, if we release the clutch so the starter pulls the car forward a few feet it is able to catch. In both instances the car has been unused for the best part of a day, and with the front wheels _slightly_ higher than the rear. Both times this happened the tank was about 1/4 full.

It feels like a fuel supply problem, but I don't see why pulling the car on the starter would would work better than just turning the motor by itself.

Knowledgeable suggestions?

03 2 Litre Tdi
Reply to
OG

Most likely the fuel injector leak off pipes. It's common for them to perish and split, which lets the fuel run back to the tank, resulting in bad starting especially after being sat for a while.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill