1 video is worth 1000 words - SUV rollover

The irreplaceable ones are Claris Emailer, Fireworks 4, and the Finder, none of which run natively in X. Some of my essential Applescripts fail, too, because they rely on 3rd-party additions.

The lack of an excellent email client is the real showstopper. Nothing compares to Emailer. The best X email clients are only mediocre. My other apps are available in X versions--dumbed-down, slow, and full of bugs. Switching to X would mean an hour's extra work per day, on average, doing chores that are now automated.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Sometimes, homonym booboos can be delicious.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I was pretty fond of Claris Emailer back in the day, but what about it is irreplaceable? I use Microsoft Entourage and it does everything quite well.

Fireworks 4 has evolved into Fireworks 8, and naturally, that runs under Mac OS X.

And I assure you, although it is different, Mac OS X *does* have a Finder.

Tell me about these automated chores. Mac OS X not only has AppleScript (just as Mac OS 9 does) but also Automator, a utility to make automating tasks easier than using AppleScript directly.

When's the last time you looked at Mac OS X? It's changed a *lot* since version 10.0.

Seriously, Lanny, I think you might want to look at moving on one of these days.

Reply to
Alan Baker

Me, in my late lamented '93 Miata; I was sideswiped about three weeks ago by a Ford truck doing about ninety. He hit me hard enough to snap the tie rod on the driver's side front tire, yet I never came close to rolling. Of course if I had rolled, it certainly would have been worse for me than if, for example, I rolled in my huge top-heavy work truck, which has a nice solid metal roof. I'm thinking about buying a roll-bar for my new Miata.

By the way, I thought I'd read that the NBs, such as the '99 I got as a replacement, were supposed to be 200 pounds heavier than the NAs, but according to the Florida vehicle registration, the LISPmobile at 2299 pounds is only 77 pounds heavier than my old '93. The extra power, better shocks and somewhat stiffer frame make up for those 77 pounds just fine. I'm really liking the LISPmobile more and more as I get used to it. The only thing I like less than my old one is the lack of the cupholder tray between the seats.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
johnny phenothiazine

Gee, was this in outer space or at the event horizon of a black hole?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

So THAT's what wrong with you. I knew there had to be something not quite wired correctly in there. You can always blame the wreck on "The Nuge" blasting out "Cat Scratch Fever" or "Stranglehold". No mere sound of gravel was going to overcome his piercing guitar licks, especially coming out of that awesome Vega sound system. ;-)

I didn't get to completely total a car until I was past the age of 30, though there were and still are a good number of close calls with the ever-increasing vehicle, pedestrian and wildlife traffic...... I still haven't rolled one yet. A car, that is. :-)

I am glad you made it alive and unmaimed except for that long term loss of reaoning powers! (double wink)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I disagree and I don't think that either of us is going to come away saying, "yeah, you were correct".

Here we completely agree, I just don't think that the limits, at least for most SUV's, are suited for road travel. There is, of course, a wide range of SUV's.

A 1993 Ford Explorer is generally going to roll over much more easily than a new BMW X5 given the same circumstances. The Ford Bronco before that rolled over if you looked at it too hard, it still shocks me to see one on the road once in a while.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I wondered if that was intentional or not..... :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

You don't happen to be anywhere near central Texas do you? I have a used Hard Dog M2 Sport bar with single diagonal brace that I need to sell but would rather not ship. This one allows the use of the hardtop and the OEM glass window easily drops right down between the support bars. This same bar fits the NA as well, I had it in my '96M.

Be sure to look into things like head clearance and remember that for different passengers. Rollbars were meant to be used with helmets. I still like the idea of it being there as insurance, but they have turned some wrecks that would have done little or no injury into a big knot on the noggin or worse. of course, the same can be said for airbags and their ability to turn what would have been a non-injury accident into a serious injury or fatality.

I am lucky to be 5'9" and mostly legs, so my head sits well below the bar. It would probably take a serious impact to throw my head into it, but I chose not to test this theory.

There is padding available, but your choices are either a really thin, cool-looking one that does almost nothing or strapping a thick and ugly piece of foam on it, where it might help but is still going to hurt like hell if you hit if hard enough.

Pat

Reply to
pws

True enough. But if SUVs aren't suitable, then there are an awful lot of other vehicles you must want removed from the roads as well...

Is it? How do you know that, exactly?

Reply to
Alan Baker

I wish I could say that it was...

Reply to
Alan Baker

True enough, including those Amish buggies, whether they finally give in and get tail lights or not. Not that they are a problem where I drive.

I imagine that what you are referring to are big rigs, UPS trucks, etc. Anything too much bigger than the biggest SUV requires a commercial drivers license, so that is at least some comfort. I do stay far away from big U-Haul and other rental trucks.

I think that is one of the problems, we have so many people driving these SUV's that are used to many years of car handling dynamics.

My first vehicle was a custom cargo van, not exactly a handling machine, and probably not what should have been in my hands at the age of 16, but I drove it like a van, gave people extra room, didn't do 90 mph in it, etc. It also had street tires and did not pretend to be an off-road vehicle. I have people who are older than I am now try to race me through corners in their Toyota Sequoias, it is just sad, and dangerous.

The BMW kicked ass on a German road course, I forgot the name, keeping up with some pretty fast cars. The Explorer, especially the early ones that had a really high center of gravity/mass, could keep up with no car that even gave a thought to handling. I would easily leave one of those behind in a boring old Camry, Civic or Accord.

I have also driven both vehicles in the same week. If you do this, there will probably be no question in your mind as to which vehicle is more role-resistant. (that one was on purpose) ;-)

The sun is coming up and there are vemon in bikinis about 5 minutes away at the lake for me to go scare off. You won't hear from me again until tonight at the earliest, I know it breaks your heart. :-)

Have a good one Alan,

Pat

Reply to
pws

I'll let you take my Infiniti FX for a drive some time. If you still want Pat to answer that question, you probably wouldn't deserve the answer.

Reply to
tooloud

No question that the Infinity FX is a "road SUV". It is big and heavy and will clear things that would destroy the underside of my miata, but it is well-designed by a good company, unlike Ford, and was made more for on-road than off-road use.

I am not even picking on the Explorer in particular. I used a 1993 model as an example because at some point after that Ford lowered the Explorers' center of gravity, mass, whatever, by 7 inches, iirc.

This resulted in a vehicle that was less prone to roll than before but I still wouldn't want to race against your Infinity in a new Explorer, even if they had equal power to weight and gearing ratios.

I actually wouldn't want to race anything while driving an Explorer except maybe a tractor......

Pat

Reply to
pws