Fuel economy

It's been a little warm so I've had the AC running a lot and driving almost entirely in traffic. I just filled up today and the gas mileage is 27mpg for this last tank. Does this seem normal for a '92 with the

1.6 engine? It seems maybe a bit low to me, I'm wondering if it's time for new plugs and wires.

The car has about 142,000 miles and I don't know when the plugs were changed last.

Anyone run one of these with the AC on most of the time?

Reply to
XS11E

I think it's great compared to what I got with my 92 over 5 yrs. I'm not sure what effect if any, it had on mileage but I kept my timing advanced to

14 BTDC all the time. In traffic with AC, I'd have probably gotten 22 or 23. I think it's mainly because the car is geared to 'zoom-zoom' and not for mileage. I've always argued that a tall top gear would be a wonderful thing.

In Houston, the hot summer months aren't the best convertible months.

Good plugs and wires can only help the situation though, right. If you don't know how old they are, it's probably time ;-)

Chris

99bbb
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

"Chris D'Agnolo" wrote in news:63b65$447632ec$471d4d2c$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Probably right, I'll plan on it soon... and not worry about the gas mileage, it's still better than most SUVs!

Reply to
XS11E

Sure, on a Miata the A/C will typically cost you 10-15%.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

In view of the fact that the AC takes noticeable power away, it seems logical it would also have a noticeable effect on mpg. Turn off that sissy AC, unzip the rear window and lower the side windows, and try to keep enough distance that you do not have to brake constantly.

Well, obviously within the last 142,000 miles. I would even guess that the plug wires were replaced within the last 30,000 miles or so.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen