1991 a/c compressor

My 1991 Miata's a/c compressor has finally croaked. Any advice on replacements? Should the entire system be rebuilt (coils, drier, etc.), or is it safe to only replace the compressor unit?

gh

Reply to
GH

You'll have to replace the compressor and the receiver/drier. Since you'll be spending a lot of money and have the system apart there's no reason not to convert the system to 134a refrigerant. It's a wise move as r22 gets harder to find and more expensive.

Reply to
XS11E

The A/C compressor from my '96 has been sitting for about 2 1/2 years now, (I just found it, thought I sold it long ago). It had 75,000 miles and was working great right before the sudden meeting of my miata and a large deer.

I am assuming that it would need some service before being used again.

Is there any reason to hold onto this part? Are the compressors worth rebuilding or is it better just to buy a new one?

Pat

Reply to
pws

It'll probably work fine w/o any attention, see if it turns freely or if it's full of deer guts. If you put some oil in it and it turns over it'll probably be fine w/o a rebuild. It also has some value as a core if someone needs a new compressor and the old one is damaged. You might try putting it on Ebay, say it's from Paris Hilton's Miata or Elvis' Miata and sell it for a couple of thousand dollars....

Reply to
XS11E

No deer guts, I will see if it turns freely and I'll probably either store it or sell it. Who knows, I might actually have a miata with A/C again one day, though it probably will not be a M1.

Paris Hilton in a Miata? Ha! She would rather be caught wearing panties than to be seen in such a low-cost car.

I have seen Elvis driving a Miata recently, so that one may work. :-)

I do have President Ford's ashtray from Air Force One listed now, seriously. He supposedly used it himself, but I can't call him up and ask....

Pat

Reply to
pws