2070 MX-5?

Good stuff Leon. A serious thought experiment on this topic has genuine merit, though it was fun bouncing off the topic for a bit there.

Fusion should be happening controllably, reliably, cleanly, and cheaply by then, and what can be done with that amount of energy is going to be interesting.

More nanotechnology in tire design for sure. We have no concept of traction if all we know is rubber and asphalt.

Mag-lev and practical superconducting applications should be well within technology of that time so the nanotech tires would just be a passing fancy.

Heads up display absolutely, or maybe something unimaginably exotic at this time but conceivable given current understanding and technology - mental imaging. Direct input into brain centers of perception and awareness would both overcome the dangerous distractions of controlling a vehicle moving at high velocity in crowded lanes, and also allow indulgence in those pleasurable distractions knowing you're still coupled to environmental concerns.

Spatial awareness enhancement through far broader views afforded by satellites and databases and sensors and data processing, which if coupled by accident avoidance technology that should be completely foolproof by then may cause the word "accident" to drop out of common usage. Redundant systems at both ends would also banish "failure" at least from concern.

Pollution won't even be an issue. There should be no step in the energy production process that results in any harm to the environment. However, what will be left of the environment well before those accomplishments occur is an open question - at least I pray it's open...

Frank

p.s. Oh yes, I used to love white cars and the ones I owned are still my favorites, but my heart has turned black, black and tan!

Reply to
frank

It should have been obvious to me that you'd have a formidable go at this subject Leon! Nice work. Sounds Like you and Frank could keep this going back and forth for some time if so inclined.

Fun stuff (different stuff), thanks PWS!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

through-mountain

Well, you know, experts trying to forecast the future for much less than

65 years, at times when progress was much slower, has been a great cause of mirth when the forecasts where reread at the designated time. So one might as well have some fun right now. :)

Fusion has always been interesting. It has been progressing at a glacial pace, but nothing has stopped it. As far as I know, we are now inching from working systems to useable systems.

Will they be able to predict the future 65 years in advance? :)

Some people have them in Florida. I assume they must have a reason. ;)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I was wondering where Leon was myself. I guess this is better than a flame war. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Shelton

Leon van Dommelen wrote: >

Properly speaking, these won't be Miatas at all, that name having been officially abandoned 64 years previously, but enthusiasts world-wide as well as the production workers in Hiroshima will still refer to the MX-5 by its original and correct name.

In 2070 the new Miatas will be carved out of five different varieties of lacquered wood, and pulled by dog teams. No other dog-car made will exhibit handling to compare! An internal-combustion engine will be out of the question; what little petroleum that remains on the planet will be heavily contaminated with radioactivity, arising from the promiscuous use of nuclear weaponry in the Wars of 2008, 2015, 2026, the South Asian War (2035-2037), World War III (2041-2049), and the Mexican, Second U.S., Brazilian, Venezuelan, South African, Iranian, Chinese, Swedish and Australian Civil Wars.

yrs jp

Reply to
Johnny Phenothiazine

Maybe they'll have gone back to pop-up lights, albeit made of some pedestrian-friendly plastic. What goes around comes around.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I think we'll see a longer hood, ala the E series Jag roadsters, to accommodate the extra room needed for the hydrogen extraction unit (which will feed the fusion based power plant).

Reply to
Johnathan Long