+20HP Speed Chip for Miata

I've been seeing ads on eBay about a chip that you can add to your miata to gave you up to 20HP. It looks like all it is is a resistor (3.2Kohm) that is plugged into your ECU connector. Has anyone else heard about this? Does it really work?

Reply to
Tom G.

try a google on rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata (this group ) the question is asked before here some time ago.

TM

Reply to
dingo

Up to? It might give you up to 20 half pennies worth of electrical parts. It won't do anything for your car, though.

So?

I would not do that. If you damage a wire, you are in trouble.

Yes.

Obviously. Otherwise you would not be here.

Want to buy a condenser from me? It will give you up to

300 hp for only $50.

I should also have a piece of wire somewhere.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

You do realize that 0HP is included in the phrase "up to 20HP"?

And so is -10HP.

Yes.

Of course not.

If there were a trivial way to get an additional 20HP out of a Miata engine, the engineers at the factory would have already done it.

We engineers aren't idiots, you know.

If you want an additional 20HP, a super charger is about the simples and cheapest way you're going to get it.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reply to
Mark Stilley

No, I wrote "cheapest". Can you point to a cheaper way to get an extra 20HP out of a Miata?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I don't disagree with your basic reasoning, Grant, but headers, catback, milling the head, and a carefully-tuned Link ECU might yield 20 rwhp for slightly less money than a JRSC. A technical nitpick, that's all.

Now, 30 rwhp requires either forced induction or a whole lot of engine work (even more expensive, and less streetable). The standard JRSC or GReddy turbo kit is worth about 35-40 rwhp. At about 45 rwhp, the OEM clutch starts begging to be upgraded.

You can build a pretty fast Miata for $6000 in parts (plus the Miata, of course). IMHO, anything less isn't worth fooling with. BTDT. If you only have $2k to spend, it should go into the suspension and tires. Or sell the Miata and buy a Mustang.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You're proably right. For the price of a turbo, you mabye could get 20HP while staying normally aspirated -- especially if you did some of the work yourself.

A good used 3rd-gen RX-7 would be more fun. :)

Reply to
Grant Edwards