38 lb?

I found my car was driving a bit funny on the Interstate, (got on there by mistake, and was trying to get off quick,) so I checked the tire pressure. Was 38 psi - 0.5 psi all around. There is a long story of hell and doom on the tire wall (Yoko ES 100) about inflating above 40 psi, so the local genius at Discount Tire made sure to stay a couple of psi short.

I already thought they were just as slippery as the completely worn away ones they replaced.

Where else would you find tire pressure than on the tire? The door?!?

Leon ;)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

The correct tire pressure is never found on the tire. It will be in the owners manual, and on the car. I looked in my owners manual for tire pressure-it's 27 psi IIRC. Haven't looked on the car, but it'll be there in the door jam, unside the gas filler door, the glove box. 38 psi is waaay to much.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I just had a set of Kumho 185/60-14 installed on my 94 at Discount Tire in Tucson (and yes, they honored the $32.95 price that Sears was advertising) and found only 30 psi in them. My door says "26 psi" front and rear, but I usually run 28 psi.

Reply to
glenf

I like 28# too. The door says '26' but that feels a bit soft to me...38??? That'd knock your teeth out!

Reply to
mutineer

Reply to
chuckk

mildly related...

can you trust the door jamb sticker if the tires aren't oem brand and size?

i ask because i just put tires on my 2001 montero (the alter-ego to my 99 sport pkg.). door jamb says 29psi for the 265/70-16 oem all-season passenger car tires. i ran 32psi for mileage, and the wear pattern was just fine.

new tires are 265/75-16 all-terrain light-truck tires and they feel like mush at 32psi. they came back from the tire shop at 45psi (which loosened a filling or two), but they feel pretty good at 37psi.

fwiw,

dookie

Reply to
dookie

For plain tires, I assume. High pressure is to prevent the sidewalls from rolling over, if they are not stiff enough and there is not enough camber. For maximum traction, low pressure is needed AFAIK.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I suspect your new off-road tires have softer sidewalls, for better grip over soft terrain; in my off-road days, I'd bleed the tires on my '74 Land Cruiser down to 10 psi for mud and sand, and stay under 20 mph until I could pump them up again.

Don't exceed the maximum pressure on the sidewall, and watch for uneven wear. Don't expect sporty performance from truck tires.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Reply to
BobT

I always take MY tire pressure gauge and torque wrench whenever the "tire store" guys hae anything to do with my tires, and check the pressure and loosen/retorque the lug nuts. They look at me like I'm from Mars, but that's tough...

Reply to
Cliff Knight

I don't take it with me. Once I get home, however, the lug nuts get loosened and tightened with me doing the torque.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Reply to