05 camry Rear End Thump

When I go over small bumps, especially at low speed, it seems that the rear axle transmits too much of a "thump" into the cabin of the car. In this regard, this car is noisier than the '95 Camry I traded. The new car has about 2,700 miles. I intend to bring this to the dealer's attention at my first service appointment, but I wondered of anyone else has noticed this phenomenon. I also own a '96 Nissan Maxima which is much quieter.

Reply to
PHIL

Is the spare tire secured to the body? Likewise the jack?

Reply to
Philip

Yes they are fastened down but the dead body is loose.

Reply to
Art

Check the air pressure. When I got my 2002 Camry LE V6, the air pressure was about 36 psi. The door jab suggest 29 psi. I reduced the air to about

30 psi and the rear thump went away.

When cars are transported, they inflate the tire to the MAX air pressure to prevent them bouncing around on the carrier. During PDI, they are supposed to set the air pressure back down to 30 psi or 32 psi (industry std.). Also, check your spare tire for air pressure and make sure it is secured as well. I leave the spare tire set to the MAX air pressure since when you need to use that tire, you want to make sure you have enough air in it. Nothing is worse replacing 1 flat tire with another! :^)

Reply to
Car Guy

Thanks for all the input on this issue. The first thing I did when I got the car home (because of the thump) was check the air pressure in the tires. Sure enough, one tire was at 38 psi, another at 35. I reduced all pressures to 29 psi, which is the factory recommendation. One curious thing I noticed was that the "thump" seemed to reduce in volume after I drove the car a while. Also, now that I am getting more mileage on the car (2,900 as of this writing) the thump seems to be getting quieter. I wonder if the shocks might have been a bit stiff when new and now they are wearing in a bit. They also might get a little looser as they warm up. I also wonder if the side wall on the P225-R15 Continental tires that come with this car might be a little stiffer than some others to give the car a "sportier" ride. Any comments? Finally, I checked the spare and jack today and all is tight; there was no rattle type sound anyway. Thank again for all your help. Phil P.S. I even got the carge mat option with this car and that should have reduced the "thump" even further.

"PHIL" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
PHIL

This me be your brake calibers.

Does the noise happen after releasing the brake pedal?

Don't worry, this is normal.

It's just the sound of your brake pads retracting from the rotors.

Reply to
JJ

If you are getting brake noise on a new car, you may have more problems than I do. Brake pads don't actually retract when wou let your foot off the brake (there is nothing to retract them). The pads more or less float on the disc, the only space between the rotor and pad being caused by rotor run-out. When the car gets older and the discs get slicker, you may experience some binding-break noise when you let your foot off the pedal, but it shouldn't happen on a new car.

Reply to
PHIL

Mine is 05 Camry LE. Yes I get irritated by the thumping noise from the rear wheels (front wheels does not make such noise). In fact, I brought the car to the dealer (Hamer-Toyota, Mission Hills CA) after a week and request to check for that soft pounding noise originating from the rear suspension.

Note: I reduced tire pressure to 30 and made sure that spare tire and tools are tightly secured in place - but the noise still there.. My older 2001 Nissan Altima GXE does not make that kind of noise. It's definitely not normal for 2005 Camry to have that noise.

Along with that complaint I gave instruction to the service advisor to readjust my idle RPM running at 900. Car was left overnight. When I got the car the following afternoon, service report says "Cannot duplicate customer comlpaint". I can't believe these guys couldn't hear it.

And, on the Idle RPM, I was told that it will settle down to 700 +/- 50 after break-in. Car is only at 1000 miles. I will bring the car for service on 5K mile and request to re-torque all under-carriage and suspension bolts. I experienced this type of thumping noise in my old 1992 Corolla with a worn suspension linkage rubber bushing. But for a brand new car - the only cause I can think of is a loose nut or bolt.

Let me know if you have your car fixed. I also read similar problem in other Camry forums.

I will give copy of this forum to those toyota guys. To let them know that it isn't only me who experience thumping noise from the rear. Otherwise, if they will claim thats normal, we'll aggressively post more of this info in the net.

EP

Reply to
TP0908

Some tips Check the bearing: Grab a hold on the tire (the top) and shake it (toward and away from you) it should not budge. Do it for both/all tires. Check the links (this works on Camry 92-96) grab a hold on the link in front of the back tire with the car on the ground and shake it towards and away from you - there should not be any strange sounds.

"TP0908" skrev i meddelandet news:66Lve.181$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
Camry_guy