'92 doesn't crank

Hi, I garaged my '92 in May in Florida, and then left until yesterday. Last night I tried to start it but the battery was dead. I charged the battery over night. It is fully charged now. Turning the key all's ok, fans spin, dash lights go on, etc, but when I turn the key to the last position to start it, it doesn't crank. Is there a relay that clicks to engage the starter motor? I don't hear any clicks. When I parked it, it was working fine. Any suggestions on trouble shooting will be much appreciated. Thanks, Mike

ps: There is a black box with fuses in it in the engine compartment on the passenger side. It also has square plug in modules that look like relays. I pulled them and they look ok to me. Are any of those in the starter circuit?

Reply to
~Mike Hollywood

Does the horn sound normal? Are the headlights bright? The battery is still the prime suspect. Next thing to try: clean the battery terminals.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Good ideas, thanks. I just checked, and yes they both are normal. The horn is loud and the head lights pop up as usual with the normal amount of brightness. I had cleaned the battery contacts before I put this battery in the car. It was new about 3 months before I went away, and they still look ok to me. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
~Mike Hollywood

Are you pushing the clutch in? Sometimes I forget when I don't drive it for awhile. Otherwise, maybe it's the clutch pedal switch that prevents you from starting it unless you do push the clutch in. If it's an automatic (ugh), maybe it's the switch that prevents you from starting it except when it's in neutral or park.

Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

Geary, thanks for the tip. My other cars are automatics, and the Miata is a stick. To tell the truth, I don't remember if I had the clutch in or not!. I'll check in the morning. Mike

Reply to
~Mike Hollywood

And it's even possible that the clutch safety switch is stuck, just from sitting for several months.

Reply to
Chuck

duh... I put the clutch in, and Varoom, it started on the first turn of the key. I'm embarrased to even report it. Thanks a million. Mike

Reply to
~Mike Hollywood

Mike-- Thanks for being honest in reporting what the solution was. While both my cars are sticks (and need the clutch depressed to crank), it would be easy to forget that if I only drove automatics. I suspect I won't forget now...nor will you! :)

Folks have told me that, regardless of the clutch interlock, it is a good idea to always crank with the clutch disengaged since (1) it takes a bit of a load off the starter because it doesn't have to spin the transmission and (2) it is safer.

Having said that, I remember riding with my dad (in a new truck--he sold trucks)a very long time ago (like the '60's) and having the engine die on a railroad track. While a train was not coming, and we could have easily pushed/gotten out, he just cranked the engine in first with the clutch engaged and, voila, we were off the tracks.

Good luck with the rest of your Florida stay...

Another Mike

Reply to
Mike

An exception: on Miatas with beefed-up clutches, it's often recommended to disable the starter interlock because the extra force is hard on the thrust bearing before the oil pressure comes up.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You're not the only one to forget to do that, I wouldn't be surprised if almost everyone here has done that at least once* so don't be embarrassed.

*Not me, of course.
Reply to
XS11E