Loud squeeking - been told its the flywheel in the clutch

The man is a con-artist! The squealing/squeaking noise is the clutch release bearing. This is fitted on the end of the clutch operating arm and when the arm is depressed it bears against the clutch spring fingers to enable the driven plate to freewheel. The flywheel is a major part of the car into which the whole clutch mechanism is bolted. It could be down to the clutch driven plate having got worn down to the rivets which may necessitate a replacement flywheel and clutch complete. Hopefully this step may not be necessary.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).

I have a 2.0 Volvo S40 (X reg) here in the UK. It has developed a load squeeking sound when I pull away from stop (usually in first but it has happened when going up into 2nd as I am accelerating).

Anyway down at my local garage they've said its because of the flywheel in the clutch and that they would need to replace it (plus the rest of the clutch). Anyway he said it might be upwards of £1200 for the job (plus VAT) mainly because the flywheel is a "dual mass" type and they are around £400 just for the part.

I am posting here in the slight hope that someone may be able to shed light on the problem, perhaps offer some possibilities in terms of getting a flywheel etc from scrap etc.

I haven't taken it to the Volvo dealer because I have kids and it takes a real effort to get the car into the garage and drive the wife's car etc etc !

Anyway thanks, John K.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

clutchkit 240 euro's (aftermarket) labour 3.6 hrs !

it could just be the pilotbearing in the flywheel, but to get there you have to remove the lot.

Reply to
M-gineering
Reply to
its_not_my_fault_5

Hi

Just joined the group.

I have the same problem with my 2001 S40 2.0. Looks like a common thing with this car. I have 130 000KM on the clock now and it was in for its 120k service yesterday. I got the quote for the clutch this morning: approx 1720 EUR (13000 South African Rand)

I used to tow a boat with the car (±750kg), it possibly damaged the clutch? The first dealership I took the car to said that it was a common occurrence, just dirt on the pressure plate.

The next dealership I took it to could not simulate the problem, the problem has progressively gotten worse, but there is no slip from the clutch.

I will let you know if I have any other info regarding this issue, and if anyone has any more info, please post your findings, it's a lot of money to fork out for something if it isn't broken.

Thanks

Reg

Durban, South Africa.

I have the same problem with my 98 S40 with 70K miles. The clutch has been making the same squeeky noise for some time and I've decided not to do anything about it. Now I'm trying to sell the car and people are concerned about it. Please let me know what you find.

Thanks, Rich

its_not_my_fault snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Reg