Brake thump - Update

Well, after 2 weekends spent disassembling, cleaning, replacing pads, clips, springs, shims, lubing caliper pins, etc., trying to get rid of the brake thump on my '96, it's still there. However, I've done some more digging. In an effort to isolate front or rear components, I tried using the hand-brake only. Forward or reverse, pulling on it hard, no thump. Touch the brake pedal, "thump". I've also noticed that after braking, hearing the thump, and coming to a stop, I sometimes hear the thump as the nose of the car comes back up/tail goes down. I'm blazing into new ground for myself here, but any chance it may be a sway bar or end link bushing loading/unloading? Or something else in the suspension? Being a shade tree mechanic that just likes to wrench on my car, I appreciate any insight.

glenn

Reply to
GH

Didn't you say in an earlier post you had a qualified mechanic check out the thing?

I would think so. Or the exhaust hitting something. Or the differential/ drive axis having play due to some problem. Or something loose in the trunk or the tunnels to the trunk. Or infection by a gas-guzzler that got in and hits the sides of the fuel thank while full of gas. Or Britney Spears hidden in the trunk.

Might well be the body of Freddy.

I appreciate your appreciation. You did say any?

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Point taken. You get what you pay for I guess. glenn :-)

Reply to
GH

Don't laugh, but when it happened top me, it took 3 months to isolate. ended up being a loose hold-down strap on the battery ! It was "rocking in the cradle"

Reply to
Jack McGann

I haven't looked there!

thanks gh

Reply to
GH

Glenn, In your search, I would recommend that you remove the sway bars (easy job but pay attention to right and left ends, they're not necessarily the same), clean the bars and the bushings and relube them. You need a waterproof grease between the bushing and the bar. I think folks have referred to it as waterproof wheel bearing grease. I'd also look all around the suspension for clean / shiny spots in tight areas. Sometimes this can be evidence that things are making contact on occasion. You might pop off the wheels to get a look at the outer faces of the shocks / springs.

Good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo