Re: Front wheel hot to the touch

|Here's the story.. |Threw a new set of front brake pads on my 96 Chrysler (betting the rotors |were good enough). |Afterwards, noticed the right front was hot to the touch ..and smelled.
|Also noticed I had wheel shimmy at about 50mph (rotor warped?). So after |reinspecting the rotors and seeing some suspect areas, I replaced them. |Installation went well with no apparent caliper or pad binding anywhere |After a long road test with braking, front wheel temperatures felt equal. |Now a week later the right front is hot to the touch again. Any ideas?
I suggest you replace the front calipers, or at least kit them. Sounds like the right one is not retracting the piston properly. Another possibility is a brake hose failing internally and acting as a one-way valve for brake fluid. Jack it up when hot and see how hard it is to rotate the wheel against whatver friction is there. Then let it cool for an hour - and the pressure bleed off - and check it again.
Rex B wrote:

That's my guess. Just had to replace two hoses on an old Studebaker this past weekend - they had swollen so much that the brakes would noticeably drag a full second after releasing the pedal. (also had to clean the Hydrovac due to all the rubber mung that got into it thanks to said hoses.) I'm guessing they were last replaced in the early 70's (when this project was started - talk about a long term project, that's longer than I've been alive! It's a long story how I ended up working on this car...) but the same thing can happen on much newer vehicles. Also if anyone has ever used clamps on the brake hoses and gotten a little too rough with them, that can cause damage to the hose invisible from the outside.
I'd also check and make sure that the calipers are sliding freely and might consider kitting them just on principle.
good luck
nate
On 7 Jul 2003 17:32:08 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Harry Smith) wrote:
|> Afterwards, noticed the right front was hot to the touch ..and smelled. |> Also noticed I had wheel shimmy at about 50mph (rotor warped?). So after |> reinspecting the rotors and seeing some suspect areas, I replaced them. |> Installation went well with no apparent caliper or pad binding anywhere |> After a long road test with braking, front wheel temperatures felt equal. |> Now a week later the right front is hot to the touch again. Any ideas? | |I would suspect that the caliper slide pins (or whatever the caliper |slides with on that model) are sticking or corroded. Many shade-tree |mechanics completely overlook this, and when a caliper starts |sticking, they just replace the whole caliper. This fixes it of |course, but in my personal experience all it usually takes it a little |cleaning and greasing. | |Take the caliper back off, and figure out what is supposed to let it |slide. Should be some sort of a pin in hole kind of thing, probably |with a rubber boot. You can buy a hardware kit at most parts stores |that includes pins, bolts, boots, clips, etc. specific for your car. |If things don't seem to move freely, take it apart, grease it with |silicon brake grease, and replace bits as you see fit. | |Harry
So Harry, would that be the Pink grease, or the black grease? <G>