Clutch?

I've got a low-mileage 1990 B package Miata and I'm haveing some problems when shifting. Going 1st to 2nd, there's a noticeable reluctance, as if the clutch wasn't fully disengaged. 2nd to

3rd is similar, but less of a problem. 3-4 and 4-5 seem OK. It is more prevalent when the car is cold, but never quite goes away. Consequently, I'm having to shift very deliberately, making sure the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor, etc. I don't have much experience with Miatas, but I remember the one I drove in California was very smooth-shifting.

Could it we something as simple as the clutch pedal adjustment, or am I in for a serious repair? I bought the car in Dec04 and have not had it in the shop yet.

Reply to
fathom

No, it is as simple as the clutch "slave" cyl. Check the fluid first, then if you go under the car by the right front wheel, you will fine the "slave cyl." by the starter. Pull the rubber boot back, if it is wet, you just need to repair it ( new one or rebuild it your self. ) Go to Miata.net and look in the garage section. There is a complete explanation on, how to check, how to replace and you can buy a new one online.

This is a very easy replacement. If you have any hand tools, it takes longer to jack the car up and remove te wheel than it does to change the cyl. ( There is NO adjustment for the clutch ! )

Good luck, IT is easy to fix !!!!

Bruce RED '91

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

Your clutch slave cylinder is going bad. If you check the smaller fluid reservoir on the firewall by the brake fluid master, I would bet it is low on fluid. Top it off to the full line with fresh DOT 3 brake fluid. Most times when the clutch slave is failing, you can pump the clutch pedal and get it to work for a short time. Check out these fine write ups on Miata.net.

The garage section is an excellent source for info
as is the forums.
I found it a fairly simple do it your self project, but I went out and bought a set of metric flair nut wrenches. I needed the 10mm one so that I didn't ruin the line connection. I have bought after market both times and they ran like $40 from All Car and even less on eBay. $65.71 plus shipping from

"fathom" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net...

Reply to
Mike

and Mike wrote:

Well, I had the same symptom and I took my '93 (which I bought used) to a Miata shop. The mechanic pointed out that the slave cylinder looked fairly new; it turned out that the clutch master cylinder was shot. It still was a cheap repair. I would have been pretty disappointed if I had gone ahead and replaced the slave cylinder only to find that my clutch still didn't work. So check them both before spending any money on replacement parts.

yours wdk

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

W. Kiernan

In general you are right, it could be either. For some reason in Miatas, the slave cylinder almost always goes first.

Reply to
Natman

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (BRUCE HASKIN) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3334.bay.webtv.net:

I want to thank all of you for your responses. I will inspect the car tomorrow morning and take the required actions.

I also want to say, this is probably the nicest newsgroup I've ever been to (and I've been on usenet since 93 under various guises). You guys totally rock!

Reply to
fathom

Probably the reduction in life brought about by being bolted to a hot engine.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

"KWS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I have a repair scheduled with a good mechanic tomorrow. He'll check both the the master and slave.

Reply to
fathom