Companies shorten the yellow phase so more drivers will be caught running the red light.

Some red-light cameras are employed as safety devices. We have a few here at historically-dangerous intersections, and they have helped. However, in the more typical situation, the company that makes the camera system approaches a local government and makes them an offer they find difficult to refuse in times of shrinking budgets: let them install cameras and process the resulting tickets, the company keeps most of the ticket revenue, and the government receives a cut off the top. If the tickets don't meet the company's revenue goals (i.e., if the cameras actually work, and people stop running red lights), then the company shortens the yellow phase so more drivers will be caught running the red. In the best tradition of American business, the scheme combines ruthless capitalism with the artificial manipulation of supply and demand.Gottaluvit!

If is as advertised this product called photoblocker spray is our rescuer. They state that it was tested by the media on their website
the videos, it also shows the police saying that it really works bymaking your license plate invisible to traffic cameras.

Reply to
Jennifer

in most states you can be both fined and jailed for the use of the likes of photoblocker. so if you are a chronic red light running criminal that feels the need to employ some sort of illegal anti camera spray to avoid fines from running red lights then think again... you are likely to just incur greater fines and some jail time too when the find you...

Reply to
Christopher Muto

On 3/28/05 1:23 PM, Jennifer wrote:

Reply to
Jim Davidson

"Christopher Muto" wrote in news:6112e.27037$uw6.15876@trnddc06:

Christopher, there's really no need to reply to a spammer.

Reply to
XS11E
[Snip of still another SPAM and run post by this guy.]

The sprays do not work. The lab will enhance the picture and also ticket you or worse for having a covered license tag.

And don't go back to this guy for a refund. No valid address.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Forget the spammer let's have some fun. In some states the law actually requires you to stop for a yellow light. Here is what the Texas Drivers Handbook has to say about yellow lights:

"Caution - red light coming up! You must STOP before entering the nearest crosswalk at the intersection, if you can do so safely. If a stop cannot be made safely, you may proceed cautiously through the intersection before the light changes to red."

Long and the short of this is that your favorite Texas trooper can give you a ticket for going through a yellow light if in his judgement it would have been safe for you to stop. The defensive driving classes in Texas teach you to learn to recognize an "old" green so you can stop before the light turns yellow. The yellow light can't get much shorter than that!

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

There are people who _don't_ know how to recognize an old green light? And they're allowed to drive?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

When I first began driving, you had red and green. It was illegal to enter the intersection if the light was red. There were a few accidents because of people that ran the red lights. They decided to add a 4 second yellow light to warn people that the light was going to turn red. The additional warning by the yellow light did not do much to reduce the number of accidents. It just allowed people to step on it and speed up to make the lights as they turned yellow. Maybe we need to add an orange light to the system. It would be of course be located between the yellow and red lights. It would allow more time to accelerate to make the light!

Reply to
Larry Gadbois

Exactly, what you need is that device which Q built into 007's Aston-Martin. You simply press a button on the dash and the license plate rotates under and another license plate with a different number appears. That works great for traffic-light cameras, but what about those patrol cars? Well, for that you'll want the rear-mounted smoke generator and oil-sprayer, and if that traffic cop doesn't take the hint, try the rocket-firing BSA motorcycle from "Thunderball."

yours WDK

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

W. Kiernan

It is a matter of Darwinian selection. Any place I know* you must have a dead wish to stop before a green light because you think it will soon turn yellow.

If so, I would try LA in a Miata or on a motorcycle. Stand on your brake as soon as you see the pedestrian light start its first flicker. Make sure your Toyos have plenty of profile and don't actually lock the wheels. The SUV three feet behind you will be legally responsible if she does not keep enough distance to stop in time and for comic relief will also lose cell phone, bagel, and hot coffee. Might be able to save a bit on your life insurance premiums there.

Isn't freedom great if you are in the majority?

Leon :)

  • I should add, or where I drive. But one is much like the other.
Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I'm not saying people should stop at old green lights. I'm just surprised that they have to be taught how to recognize them in a defensive driving class.

Around here, you're likely to get rear-ended if you stop at a yellow light (or at a red light that hasn't been red very long).

These days it seems I'm rarely in the majority.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

No they are not. All of them are simply installed to generate revenue. If safety was the real concern, there are other ways to go about making an intersection safer.

Are you sure? I would be asking why other solutions weren't tried first. Hiring a traffic engineer to examine the intersection is the first thing that should be done. He can identify the source of the problem and then make recommendations on what changes can be made to improve the intersections safey record. The best part is that the cost is minimal and you end up with changes that actually make the intersection safer. A camera by itself does not make the intersection safer and can increase the number of rear end accidents.

Very few companies will shorten the yellow to get more money. One reason being that they are opening themselves to being sued by anyone who has an accident at the intersection.

Ah! The real reason you posted was to spam the newsgroup. Anyone who is thinking of buying this crap can just send me the money. You will get the same benefits and you can feel better knowing the money will be spent on car toys.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

There is no law in any state requiring you to stop for a yellow.

I wonder what you will be charged with? There is no law that says you have to stop on a yellow. The one and only thing a yellow light means is that a red light will be displayed in a short period of time. It means nothing more than that.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez