coil pack-how hard to install?

I'm one of those people who only seems to visit this board when I need something - sorry!

After reading a million posts here and on Miatanet, I have self-diagnosed that my 2000 miata needs a new coil pack.

So I call the dealer, and they want $250 for the part, and he said "about $38 in labor". Not too bad, I s'pose, but one of the many coil pack posts led me to call Mazmart. There, I can get the part for $150, and he said he'd ship it to me for free.

So, I doubt the dealer would install someone elses's (used?) part, so how hard would this be for me (actually my relatively car-savvy dad) to install? For only $38 in labor, it must not be too difficult, right? (I've been known to be wrong about such assumptions before.)

Might I find instructions online somewhere to tackle this?

By the way, I'm 9 months out of warranty (aarrgghh), and when I told the dealer my problem, he said that a coil pack problem is very rare in the miata and he's betting it's the plugs. Which, as I've read from all the posts, seems very much to NOT be the case, but I didn't feel like arguing with him.

what a pain!

thanks so much!

jamie

Reply to
jamie

If I were you, I'd make friends with another 2000 owner (perhaps a local club member) and beg to swap coils long enough to verify your diagnosis.

The swap is easy, a couple of bolts and some wires, but I think it's unlikely that a coil pack would fail so early. What are your symptoms? How many miles on the car? How many miles on the plugs and the plug wires? Have you cleaned all the ground connections yet?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

[...]

You will have to sacrifice some knuckle skin. IIRC, the coil pack is basically behind the engine.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

It is! Very easy job, but very difficult to perform! I've seen people refer to it as "the most hated bold". After doing it myself, I can see why...

Steven

- - -

Reply to
Steven Spits