Cruise Control for Mazdaspeed Miata

If this had been two months ago before I discovered coming out of Tulsa that yes, the CC in my 93' actually works (don't ask) I wouldn't be having these qualms. But geez, it took a load off of my foot for those 2000 miles back to SF. So, the lack of CC on the Mazdaspeed is bugging me.

Has anyone retrofitted the standard CC from Mazda into a Mazdaspeed yet? I just can't shake the idea that there must be a technical reason that made Mazda decide not to include it. Of course, there are always reasons financial. From Lisa Lasky at Mazda support...

"There are really two reasons why. Our Product Engineers in Japan decided that it wasn't practical with the turbo-charged engine. And, it was a cost-saver to keep the vehicle at a lower MSRP."

Now what could impractical because of the turbo mean?

JJ

Reply to
Me

It helps if you turn it on...

Not because of the additional power. My CC works perfectly with a JR SC. Not because of anything being in the way. My CC works perfectly relocated to a completely different part of the engine bay with the Racing Beat relocation brackets. I can only guess that maybe the nonlinear, unpredictable, response of the turbo makes keeping a stable speed difficult. Then again, I have never heard any turbo owners whine about their CC either, after reading this group for many years. Maybe reason (a) was just an excuse for reason (b). It *is* supposed to be a sports version. Though AutoX people I talked to did not like the nonlinear response of turbos.

My best guess is however that there was a minor snag with the intake plumbing being in the way of something, and Mazda considered the proposed number made not enough justification for the development cost of a fix.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Thanks. I had tried it numerous times before without success, though to tell you the truth I never really cared enough to investigate why it didn't work. Of course I may have just experienced a string of middle-aged moments--things I seem to have experienced since I was a teenager!

But playing baseball has caused me some problems with my right hip and the CC helped me keep pressure off of it so now I'm addicted.

I need to get underneath and trace the wiring for both the CC and the alarm which also goes dead if I hit a bump too hard.

As to the MS. In my test drive, I didn't notice the response being particularly non-linear. I'm about as far from an expert as you can get but it just seemd to make the car stronger when wound high between shifts. Actually, it made me not want to shift at all!

But it wasn't really the extra power for passing or the mountains that appealed to me. The MS seemed to handle much better than either the stock or LS models-- nigh on perfect. It also seemed much, and I mean much more stable at high speeds. Admittedly, I didn't get above

90mph but I was very suprised when I read that on the dial. My 93' tends to feel drifty at highway speeds.

Keep in mind that this is from someone who hasn't driven an S2000, Z4 or any of the pricier sports cars though I have driven numerous older types.

To put it in perspective, I haven't bought a new car since a 76' Ford van--I hate losing value so quickly. But even after three weeks I still have MS lust. Especially at the prices you can find them for right now.

JJ

Reply to
Me

Me wrote in news:j2b3l0he4v383abf6op6mhi9rs731h9uji@

4ax.com:

I had the very same question. I had my dealer look into it. It seems the standard Miata CC from a 04 model will fit without problem. The only problem is to I want to shell out $700.00 Cdn (that's right...700.00!) for the Mazda CC. So it would seem that it was more of a cost cutting measure on Mazda's behalf.

-Rod

The Audiovox is less than $100 and seems to work fine according to others. Hide the switch under the seat or some such. You could also try a salvage place. Apparently there's one in Sacramento, CA. Check out the Miata garage.

JJ

Reply to
Me