Does 2003 Shinsen include "sport" supspension?

Now, That's more enlightening than I believe I can absorb! I had a feeling it might be in a far off land ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Well, for one thing, you and I probably like about the same ride handling compromise, IIRC, the MSM is ~300lbs heavier than my 99 base model car which, will make a significant difference.

If you want to dial out some body roll, I think you can do it with upsized sway bars. There should be tons of info in the forums at miata.net on that. There have been many attempts (with varying degrees of success) to turn the MSM into a great autocross car. Apparently, depending on your local venue, the 6 speed can be a bit of a problem (having to go into and out of, 3rd gear occasionally).

Of course, FM or Goodman Racing will take you as serious as you dare to go!

You really do start loosing some of the 'streetability' and it's hard to go back ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I've spent many hours contemplating the FM website. There are a large number of goodies for the MSM, and there's also a disturbingly fascinating section on V8 transplants. If finances had allowed I would have done the intake kit, downpipe, exhaust and intercooler at the very least. And of course new sway bars too.

Reply to
Carbon

The horsepower game is a study in futility. You can't win, somebody always has more, and even they are unhappy with what they have and want more! What's the old saying, 'if you're not fast with 90 hp, you won't be fast with 900 hp' Something like that. I seriously think the stk or near stock Miata is one of the most ideal cars for public roads. You can run the snot out of it every day and have a blast while a guy in his hotrod Vette can't run to redline in second gear for fear of his license. Work on the handling and your drivers skills, I think you'll be happier, isn't that what it's all about?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I agree. S2000 is nice, but you'll die or lose your license proving that it's faster than a Miata (they most certainly are). Boxsters are kind of nice, it's just the potential cost of future engine rebuilds that I don't like. Z3 / Z4 I'll pass on - if you can afford very high european car maintenance costs, then IMO only Porsche (911/Cayman/Boxster) deserve attention - for purist design for drivers. Someone drove past my house in some brand new 4 door stretched 911 shaped thing the other day - more proof that Porsche aren't infallible - if the Cayenne truck (express school bus) hadn't proved it already. The roads here in NZ have character. Lots of very interesting twisty mountain roads. The surface is variable - often "chip seal" rather than rolled emulsion smooth surfaces, and prone to having big lumps in corners. Hard suspension might be great on smooth roads or the track, but a good balance of stock / near stock suspension and keeping unsprung weight as low as possible is best. A stock Mx5 seems as if it's made for the roads here.

Reply to
Me