Don't forget to replace oil filler cap

I did. No apparent damage, but what a mess. Didn't even lose the cap. It just sat on top of the engine block for a couple of days.

Reply to
Frank Berger

ouch! Sorry to hear 'bout that.

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

From the Wall Street Journal:

"The price of stock in Gunk Engine Cleaner took a surprise jump today on news that sales had doubled for some reason."

Reply to
XS11E

I cleaned up the mess as best I could with paper towels, but haven't had time to do thorough job. I'm somewhat afraid about the residual oil burstng in to flames. It does smoke a little.

Reply to
Frank Berger

You need to clean it all off, it's unlikely it'll catch fire but it could happen, what will happen is it'll stink and smoke every time oil gets onto something hot.... You need to do it BEFORE it bakes on or it'll be much more difficult.

Reply to
XS11E

Will do. Thanks.

Reply to
Frank Berger

The last time I used the stuff, it had been changed to an "ECO Friendly" formula that didn't work very well. (Back to Kerosene) Even at $4 a gallon, it's less expensive than a can of engine spray cleaner on a per ounce basis.

From the Wall Street Journal:

"The price of stock in Gunk Engine Cleaner took a surprise jump today on news that sales had doubled for some reason."

Reply to
Chuck

"Frank Berger" wrote

Late reply - been away at a Miata-less cabin. BTDT - even retained the cap, just as Frank did. I remember from posting here about my oil-spewing adventure that even Leon has done this. I ended up wiping everything down as best I could, no degreaser. All was fine. Of course a black engine bay doesn't show much oil.

Reply to
Ken Lyons