FS club spec NC

Just a note, I was browsing ebay last evening and came across a somewhat unusual miata. It's a new Club Spec 06 (Red) that's for sale by a dealer with a buy it now price of $15,900 IIRC. Sticker is shown as $20,990 or so. It's got just 50 miles, think they said it has been a demo. I just thought that there might not be too many coming in like this and maybe somebody here would be looking for one. This is the version w/o AC an a couple other items for weight savings (autocross).

later, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

It is amazing how much they are keeping the price down. My 1996 "M" had an original sticker price of over $25,000 over ten years ago, though I doubt if the dealers got that much for them often if at all. Still, for a decade of time to pass, those numbers are staying very close. Mazda hasn't totally lost track. :-) The "M" was the most expensive miata you could buy new in 1996. Do you know what the price is on the most expensive NC setup minus the hardtop?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Grand Touring: $24,995 automatic transmission: 1,100 all available options: 5,507 total: $31,602

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Oh yeah, they do come with automatic trannys, don't they? ;-)

So, if you take away the $1100.00 for the auto tranny, you are left with a car that costs about $5,000 more than the MSRP on the special edition in 1996. Not too bad for 10 to 11 years, but it is getting up there. I don't think that many '96M editions were actually commanding $25K in

1996, I may be wrong. Did anyone here buy a '96M new at the dealership? If so, what did you pay for it?

Also, are the optioned out grand touring models really getting $30K to $31K?

Just curious,

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote: >

Yeah, but that $31,602 figure also includes every last option simultaneously clickable on Mazda's "Build a vehicle" web page. This is starting with the already option-laden top-of-the-line Grand Touring edition w/slushbox, said slushbox jacking the GT's MSRP by $1100 to $26,095 including $550 "destination fee." Then to totally maximize the price, add an "Appearance package 1" for $1145 that tacks on a big bulgy plastic air dam, an underskirt (whatever that is but woo! it shore sounds sex-ay) and side sill extensions, plus a $1600 "Premium Package

2" with HID lights, a "traction control system" and a "dynamic stability control" that I don't know what they do, car alarm and keyless locks, plus a $435 "Interior trim package," plus run-flat tires ($515), plus 6-CD changer and Sirius radio ($500 + $430), plus optional spoiler, splash guards and chrome gas lid ($350 + $199 + $100, and while we're at it let's also add tail fins, mouse ears and a rubber nose) plus optional door edge guards, mats, wheel locks and cargo net ($78 + $75 + $40 + $40). I think if you had tacked on every option in the showroom (except the hardtop) to the '96 M-edition it would have jacked the price up quite a bit higher than the $25K MSRP you're comparing today's price with.

I betcha the absolutely-maxed-out folding-hardtop MX-5 tops $33,000. Think about it! For that you could buy a perfectly nice brand-new base MX-5 and have enough cash left over for either a low-mileage '99 or '00 or a boat!

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
W. Kiernan

Oh, hey, look at this! I don't see a price anywhere, but Mazda's accessory catalog

offers a detachable hardtop. It's quite attractive, and I bet if you add that to the $31,602 option-parade car we were talking about earlier we're already above $33K.

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
W. Kiernan

That makes sense to me. The '96M, which was listed as "fully loaded", did not automatically come with an auto tranny, (thank God!), or the hardtop. It did come standard with ABS and the 15 inch wheels. In 1995 through 1997, you either had 14 inch wheels, an "M" edition miata, or aftermarket wheels. It was cool to be able to try the Toyos on 15" OEM wheels long before they became available in the 14 inch size.

There was less to buy for it and the accessories were less money, but there were still plenty of things to buy for it like the airdam, rear spoiler, rear skirt, bra, car cover, gold trim package, I am sure that I am missing something. That would have definitely added up to some decent additional money. IIRC, the mouse ears were very expensive at $339.00, but the rubber nose was a bargain at $79.95. :-)

Have a good one!

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:Yx0qg.10733$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com:

I think the hardtop and the automatic have always been options.

I'm sure someone will immediately post back telling me about some model that came standard with one or the other...

Reply to
XS11E